Police appeal to killers' families

Burnley and Pendle Citizen: Police hunting Joseph Burke-Monerville's killers have issued a fresh appeal on the first anniversary of his death. Police hunting Joseph Burke-Monerville's killers have issued a fresh appeal on the first anniversary of his death.

Police hunting the killers of a teenage student shot dead in a case of mistaken identity have appealed to the families of those responsible to come forward on the first anniversary of his death.

Joseph Burke-Monerville was fatally wounded as he sat in a car with his two brothers on February 16 last year.

He and his twin brother Jonathan were in the back of the parked car when three shots were fired into it on Hindrey Road, Clapton, east London.

The 19-year-old, from Islington, north London, was rushed to hospital but died later, while his twin was uninjured.

Their older brother, David Dele Bello-Monerville, 33, was also shot as he sat in the front seat but was later discharged from hospital.

Detective Chief Inspector Shelia Stewart, from Scotland Yard's Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: "It has been a year since Joseph's mother lost her son, since Jonathan lost his twin brother and the family have been left completely devastated.

"I am hoping that with the passage of time allegiances may have changed and those who did not engage with us at the time of the incident are now in a position to do so.

"I firmly believe there are people in the community who have important information that will assist the investigation.

"I am also directly appealing to the mothers, sisters and girlfriends of those who may have been involved, if you believe they may be responsible in some small way please come and speak with us. A mother has been left broken hearted because of the callous and brutal murder of her son, please do not remain silent.

"I would like to emphasise that will treat any information received sensitively and in the upmost confidence."

Mr Burke-Monerville's family are marking the anniversary of his death at a church service today before staging a vigil close to the scene of the shooting.

Joseph's mother Linda, who made an emotional appeal on BBC's Crimewatch last year, said she had to "relive the pain" of losing her son every day.

"My family and I are devastated and we cannot fully grieve nor can we celebrate his life knowing his killers are still out there," she said.

"We strongly believe there are people in the community who know what happened. I'm pleading with you to find it in your hearts to come forward and help justice to be achieved for my boy, also to prevent another mother and family having their hearts torn out like mine."

Mr Burke-Monerville, who according to his Facebook page was a forensic science student, and his brothers had no links to gangs, Scotland Yard has said previously..

A post-mortem gave cause of death as a gunshot wound to the head.

Police have offered a reward of up to £30,000 for information which leads to the prosecution of those responsible.

Scotland Yard said two suspects were seen running from the scene, the first is described as black, and the second is described as light-skinned - possibly of Asian or Turkish appearance. They were wearing dark hooded tops, with bandanas covering their faces.

Eight men, aged 18 to 26, and a 16-year-old boy were arrested in connection with the murder but no further action was taken.

Any witnesses or anyone with information should call the incident room on 020 8345 3985; if you wish to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree