BURNLEY boss Sean Dyche expects it will only be a matter of time before Scott Arfield works his way into the Scotland squad.
The midfielder was surprisingly overlooked for selection by Gordon Stachan for Sunday’s game against World Cup winners Germany – their first Euro 2016 qualifier – after making an impressive start to the Premier League season.
Arfield scored Burnley’s only goal so far on his top flight debut, opening the scoring against Chelsea with a wonderful volley.
He went on to perform well against Swansea, and was impressive in the goalless draw with Manchester United last weekend.
But six Championship midfielders, including former Claret Kevin McDonald – now with Wolves, have been called up ahead of the 25-year-old.
Arfield has been capped at Under 19, U21 and B level, but has yet to take the next step into the senior set-up.
Dyche is confident, however, that continued consistency will be rewarded by a national call.
“I’m sure they’ve got their scouting network open, – I’m sure they look at all players who are available,” said the Burnley boss.
“I know that if he continues his business like he is doing, then he’d certainly be in the reckoning I’d imagine, but that’s for them to decide.
“I’ve got no problem with that.”
But a Scotland cap would go some way to highlighting the turn-around in Arfield’s career.
It is incredible to think just over a year ago the former Falkirk man arrived on trial at Turf Moor having been released by Huddersfield Town at the end of his contract.
After signing a two-year deal last summer he went on to score nine goals in Burnley’s promotion season, earning him a contract extension this summer.
“For Scott it’s been an amazing journey over the 15 months or so since he joined us,” said Dyche.
“I think he was looking at possibly Southend and MK Dons 14 months ago, with all due respect to them, then he came to Burnley and has been an absolute credit to himself, the team and the club.”