Andy Lochhead: Clarets have what it takes to stay in the Premier League

Andy Lochhead: Clarets have what it takes to stay in the Premier League

Andy Lochhead: Clarets have what it takes to stay in the Premier League

First published in Sport by

I SAID all summer that this time in the Premier League would be different to the last.

I said I did not think we would be relegated this season, and my opinion of that has not had cause to change three games in.

The performance against Manchester United was encouraging Now that manager Sean Dyche has been able to make a few deadline additions, I feel we have a fair side, and a fair squad, to take us through the first half of the season.

I’m sure the trio who have just come in will have to fight for their place, given how well the players did in earning their first point against United.

It’s a result we would have taken beforehand, but we could have had all three points with a bit more luck in front of goal.

Everyone wondered whether it would be a good time or a bad time to face United, given their poor start to the season and the subsequent arrival of British record signing Angel di Maria.

The players handled the occasion well and gave a good account of themselves.

A few especially caught the eye, like David Jones, who had two good chances, Lukas Jutkiewicz, who was denied by the goalkeeper’s legs, and Scott Arfield.

It surprises me that he has again been overlooked for a Scotland call-up, but if I was him I wouldn’t worry about it and just focus on doing well at club level, which I’m sure he is.

I played for the Under 23s once, against Wales up at Aberdeen. I had a good game and got on the scoresheet.

But I never earned a full cap.

Denis Law and Alan Gilzean were regulars. They were very good centre forwards, and I couldn’t work my way in past them.

It’s just one of those things you’ve got to get on with, and I’m sure Scott will. With George Boyd now on Burnley’s books the selectors start taking more notice.

If Scott continues how he’s started, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before he gets the international recognition he deserves.

As for England, what a weary performance on Wednesday.

He didn’t do anything at Turf Moor and it was the same against Wembley. He just strolled around.

And when you remember that he is picking up £300,000 a week - that’s when you get a bit aggravated. Especially when I recall my first wage was £8 a week!

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:34pm Fri 5 Sep 14

AnotherPounding4Burnley says...

So long as they change the rules and points are issued on how much we've not spent, we'd be third, unfortunately we are bottom, and deservedly so.
So long as they change the rules and points are issued on how much we've not spent, we'd be third, unfortunately we are bottom, and deservedly so. AnotherPounding4Burnley
  • Score: -23

5:57pm Fri 5 Sep 14

ZomZom@thePark says...

AnotherPounding4Burn
ley
wrote:
So long as they change the rules and points are issued on how much we've not spent, we'd be third, unfortunately we are bottom, and deservedly so.
Oh dear. Here Eeyore goes again. He claims to know more about the current side's chances than someone who has been there, seen it, done it and bought the t-shirt.
Give it a rest fella.
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: So long as they change the rules and points are issued on how much we've not spent, we'd be third, unfortunately we are bottom, and deservedly so.[/p][/quote]Oh dear. Here Eeyore goes again. He claims to know more about the current side's chances than someone who has been there, seen it, done it and bought the t-shirt. Give it a rest fella. ZomZom@thePark
  • Score: 18

6:28pm Fri 5 Sep 14

TurfMoorTom says...

I think he might just be talking about finally having upgraded the dug out seats. That just stinks of ambition. But only in Bumleh.
I think he might just be talking about finally having upgraded the dug out seats. That just stinks of ambition. But only in Bumleh. TurfMoorTom
  • Score: -18

9:03pm Fri 5 Sep 14

RobH2O . says...

AnotherPounding4Burn
ley
wrote:
So long as they change the rules and points are issued on how much we've not spent, we'd be third, unfortunately we are bottom, and deservedly so.
I can see you
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: So long as they change the rules and points are issued on how much we've not spent, we'd be third, unfortunately we are bottom, and deservedly so.[/p][/quote]I can see you RobH2O .
  • Score: 9

10:12pm Fri 5 Sep 14

ZomZom@thePark says...

TurfMoorTom wrote:
I think he might just be talking about finally having upgraded the dug out seats. That just stinks of ambition. But only in Bumleh.
Well our ambition doesn't amount to freebies from Donny, Leeds reserves and someone deemed not good enough for Blackpool. Raise your head up far enough to get your eighth chin off your nipples and give it a **** good wobble. D!(kh34d.
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoorTom[/bold] wrote: I think he might just be talking about finally having upgraded the dug out seats. That just stinks of ambition. But only in Bumleh.[/p][/quote]Well our ambition doesn't amount to freebies from Donny, Leeds reserves and someone deemed not good enough for Blackpool. Raise your head up far enough to get your eighth chin off your nipples and give it a **** good wobble. D!(kh34d. ZomZom@thePark
  • Score: 8

11:10pm Fri 5 Sep 14

TurfMoorTom says...

ZomZom@thePark wrote:
TurfMoorTom wrote:
I think he might just be talking about finally having upgraded the dug out seats. That just stinks of ambition. But only in Bumleh.
Well our ambition doesn't amount to freebies from Donny, Leeds reserves and someone deemed not good enough for Blackpool. Raise your head up far enough to get your eighth chin off your nipples and give it a **** good wobble. D!(kh34d.
Someone from Championship Derby...rejected
Someone from Championship Forest.....rejected
Someone couldn't be bothered to come back to training
Someone ran off to Championship Bournemouth
Signed a Championship Bolton reserve
Signed a Championship Middlesbrough reserve
Signed a freebie from Championship Blackpool
Signed a crock from West Brom
Signed a few young loanees yet to make their names in the Prem.

That's ambition......still, at least you got the dugout seats changed.
[quote][p][bold]ZomZom@thePark[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TurfMoorTom[/bold] wrote: I think he might just be talking about finally having upgraded the dug out seats. That just stinks of ambition. But only in Bumleh.[/p][/quote]Well our ambition doesn't amount to freebies from Donny, Leeds reserves and someone deemed not good enough for Blackpool. Raise your head up far enough to get your eighth chin off your nipples and give it a **** good wobble. D!(kh34d.[/p][/quote]Someone from Championship Derby...rejected Someone from Championship Forest.....rejected Someone couldn't be bothered to come back to training Someone ran off to Championship Bournemouth Signed a Championship Bolton reserve Signed a Championship Middlesbrough reserve Signed a freebie from Championship Blackpool Signed a crock from West Brom Signed a few young loanees yet to make their names in the Prem. That's ambition......still, at least you got the dugout seats changed. TurfMoorTom
  • Score: -10

11:56pm Fri 5 Sep 14

ZomZom@thePark says...

TurfMoorTom wrote:
ZomZom@thePark wrote:
TurfMoorTom wrote:
I think he might just be talking about finally having upgraded the dug out seats. That just stinks of ambition. But only in Bumleh.
Well our ambition doesn't amount to freebies from Donny, Leeds reserves and someone deemed not good enough for Blackpool. Raise your head up far enough to get your eighth chin off your nipples and give it a **** good wobble. D!(kh34d.
Someone from Championship Derby...rejected
Someone from Championship Forest.....rejected
Someone couldn't be bothered to come back to training
Someone ran off to Championship Bournemouth
Signed a Championship Bolton reserve
Signed a Championship Middlesbrough reserve
Signed a freebie from Championship Blackpool
Signed a crock from West Brom
Signed a few young loanees yet to make their names in the Prem.

That's ambition......still, at least you got the dugout seats changed.
Ok 5h!t for brains. Treacy had little or no chance of making the cut, as well you know. Stanislas wanted regular playing time, something not guaranteed at Burnley. We were used as pawns for others whom money means more than success, a bit like a certain striker currently bleeding you chickens dry.
Next.
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoorTom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ZomZom@thePark[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TurfMoorTom[/bold] wrote: I think he might just be talking about finally having upgraded the dug out seats. That just stinks of ambition. But only in Bumleh.[/p][/quote]Well our ambition doesn't amount to freebies from Donny, Leeds reserves and someone deemed not good enough for Blackpool. Raise your head up far enough to get your eighth chin off your nipples and give it a **** good wobble. D!(kh34d.[/p][/quote]Someone from Championship Derby...rejected Someone from Championship Forest.....rejected Someone couldn't be bothered to come back to training Someone ran off to Championship Bournemouth Signed a Championship Bolton reserve Signed a Championship Middlesbrough reserve Signed a freebie from Championship Blackpool Signed a crock from West Brom Signed a few young loanees yet to make their names in the Prem. That's ambition......still, at least you got the dugout seats changed.[/p][/quote]Ok 5h!t for brains. Treacy had little or no chance of making the cut, as well you know. Stanislas wanted regular playing time, something not guaranteed at Burnley. We were used as pawns for others whom money means more than success, a bit like a certain striker currently bleeding you chickens dry. Next. ZomZom@thePark
  • Score: 8

8:55am Sat 6 Sep 14

dinglecrusher says...

Dyche is planning for three seasons in the Premiership - autumn, winter and spring! You have no chance of staying up. Wake up and smell the coffee
Dyche is planning for three seasons in the Premiership - autumn, winter and spring! You have no chance of staying up. Wake up and smell the coffee dinglecrusher
  • Score: -12

10:25am Sat 6 Sep 14

ZomZom@thePark says...

dinglecrusher wrote:
Dyche is planning for three seasons in the Premiership - autumn, winter and spring! You have no chance of staying up. Wake up and smell the coffee
I had a coffee this morning thanks. I tend to think Andy Lochhead may know rather more about our chances than some bitter knob wearing blue and white tinted glasses.
[quote][p][bold]dinglecrusher[/bold] wrote: Dyche is planning for three seasons in the Premiership - autumn, winter and spring! You have no chance of staying up. Wake up and smell the coffee[/p][/quote]I had a coffee this morning thanks. I tend to think Andy Lochhead may know rather more about our chances than some bitter knob wearing blue and white tinted glasses. ZomZom@thePark
  • Score: 11

2:33pm Sat 6 Sep 14

Claretcert says...

ZomZom@thePark wrote:
dinglecrusher wrote:
Dyche is planning for three seasons in the Premiership - autumn, winter and spring! You have no chance of staying up. Wake up and smell the coffee
I had a coffee this morning thanks. I tend to think Andy Lochhead may know rather more about our chances than some bitter knob wearing blue and white tinted glasses.
Same old Blackburn - always bleating. Truth is we don't know how strong or weak this squad is after 3 games but will after 10. But being optimistic as opposed to our wrist-slitting blue and white friends, Clarets at least can enjoy the season whatever. What's going on at Ewood though? Some very strange goings on if the rumours are anything like true. Seems like someone translated the FFP rules into Hindi and the reality of sat on a colossal loss with an embargo stifling promotion. As if that was ever really likely! So the bleating is natural, grown men wil cry into their chicken tikka all over Pune as the penny drops and exit strategy becomes obvious. In Blackburn it's going to be more of the same - endless bleating.
[quote][p][bold]ZomZom@thePark[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dinglecrusher[/bold] wrote: Dyche is planning for three seasons in the Premiership - autumn, winter and spring! You have no chance of staying up. Wake up and smell the coffee[/p][/quote]I had a coffee this morning thanks. I tend to think Andy Lochhead may know rather more about our chances than some bitter knob wearing blue and white tinted glasses.[/p][/quote]Same old Blackburn - always bleating. Truth is we don't know how strong or weak this squad is after 3 games but will after 10. But being optimistic as opposed to our wrist-slitting blue and white friends, Clarets at least can enjoy the season whatever. What's going on at Ewood though? Some very strange goings on if the rumours are anything like true. Seems like someone translated the FFP rules into Hindi and the reality of sat on a colossal loss with an embargo stifling promotion. As if that was ever really likely! So the bleating is natural, grown men wil cry into their chicken tikka all over Pune as the penny drops and exit strategy becomes obvious. In Blackburn it's going to be more of the same - endless bleating. Claretcert
  • Score: 12

7:14pm Sat 6 Sep 14

TurfMoorTom says...

ZomZom@thePark wrote:
TurfMoorTom wrote:
ZomZom@thePark wrote:
TurfMoorTom wrote:
I think he might just be talking about finally having upgraded the dug out seats. That just stinks of ambition. But only in Bumleh.
Well our ambition doesn't amount to freebies from Donny, Leeds reserves and someone deemed not good enough for Blackpool. Raise your head up far enough to get your eighth chin off your nipples and give it a **** good wobble. D!(kh34d.
Someone from Championship Derby...rejected
Someone from Championship Forest.....rejected
Someone couldn't be bothered to come back to training
Someone ran off to Championship Bournemouth
Signed a Championship Bolton reserve
Signed a Championship Middlesbrough reserve
Signed a freebie from Championship Blackpool
Signed a crock from West Brom
Signed a few young loanees yet to make their names in the Prem.

That's ambition......still, at least you got the dugout seats changed.
Ok 5h!t for brains. Treacy had little or no chance of making the cut, as well you know. Stanislas wanted regular playing time, something not guaranteed at Burnley. We were used as pawns for others whom money means more than success, a bit like a certain striker currently bleeding you chickens dry.
Next.
Money means more than success? But at Bumleh you get neither so what's your argument?
[quote][p][bold]ZomZom@thePark[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TurfMoorTom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ZomZom@thePark[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TurfMoorTom[/bold] wrote: I think he might just be talking about finally having upgraded the dug out seats. That just stinks of ambition. But only in Bumleh.[/p][/quote]Well our ambition doesn't amount to freebies from Donny, Leeds reserves and someone deemed not good enough for Blackpool. Raise your head up far enough to get your eighth chin off your nipples and give it a **** good wobble. D!(kh34d.[/p][/quote]Someone from Championship Derby...rejected Someone from Championship Forest.....rejected Someone couldn't be bothered to come back to training Someone ran off to Championship Bournemouth Signed a Championship Bolton reserve Signed a Championship Middlesbrough reserve Signed a freebie from Championship Blackpool Signed a crock from West Brom Signed a few young loanees yet to make their names in the Prem. That's ambition......still, at least you got the dugout seats changed.[/p][/quote]Ok 5h!t for brains. Treacy had little or no chance of making the cut, as well you know. Stanislas wanted regular playing time, something not guaranteed at Burnley. We were used as pawns for others whom money means more than success, a bit like a certain striker currently bleeding you chickens dry. Next.[/p][/quote]Money means more than success? But at Bumleh you get neither so what's your argument? TurfMoorTom
  • Score: -12

11:11pm Sun 7 Sep 14

Garylla says...

Ha ha, now we know why he's known as Andy Blockhead. COYB
Ha ha, now we know why he's known as Andy Blockhead. COYB Garylla
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree