Leicester challenge Clarets for Wigan ace McArthur

Leicester challenge Clarets for Wigan ace McArthur

Leicester challenge Clarets for Wigan ace McArthur

First published in Sport
Last updated
Burnley and Pendle Citizen: Photograph of the Author by , Burnley FC reporter

BURNLEY will have to up the ante if they want to prise James McArthur from Wigan Athletic, after Leicester City became rival bidders.

The Foxes yesterday had a £5million offer for the midfielder turned down.

MORE TOP STORIES:

Wigan had earlier suggested they had no wish to sell the Scotland international. But with the transfer window drawing to a close, 11pm on Monday the cut-off point, Latics chairman Dave Whelan has said he would not want to stand in the 26-year-old’s way, providing any further bids were improved.

Burnley, who last night went out of the League Cup with a 1-0 home loss to Sheffield Wednesday, had previously had a £4million offer turned down.

“We need the right offer,” said Whelan.

“I don’t want to stop the lad from going into the Premier League.

“What they (Leicester) offered was good, but not quite to our expectations.

“We have to get enough money to get the necessary replacement.

“There is bound to be more offers from other Premier League clubs or Leicester because he is such a tough, quality player.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree