Teenager hit by bus in Colne

Burnley and Pendle Citizen: Teenager hit by bus in Colne Teenager hit by bus in Colne

A TEENAGE boy was taken to hospital after being hit by a bus in Colne.

The youngster was left lying face down in the middle of Albert Road, near the Marsden Building Society following the accident involving a single-decker bus at about 4.20pm.

Police were forced to close the road and rush hour drivers reported long delays through the town.

The boy was taken by ambulance to a hospital in Manchester for treatment. Colne councillor Dorothy Lord, of Earl Street, said: “It happened at the top of my street and when my husband got home he said there was mayhem with the traffic.

“I went up there and heard that a young lad had been knocked down and the road was all cordoned off. There were skid marks on Albert Road so the bus driver had obviously tried to stop, and it looked like it happened above the crossing.

“The road is usually very slow at that time and the traffic only crawls up the road.

“Police told me the boy had gone to hospital but he was conscious. It didn’t sound like he had serious injuries and I hope he’s all right. You don’t want to see things like that, especially with a child.”

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:41pm Mon 16 Jun 14

claretandbluetoo says...

what happened to the Green Cross code???

7 police cars!!!!!

a road closed!!

and a traumatised bus driver...


LOOK RIGHT LOOK LEFT LOOK RIGHT AGAIN.
what happened to the Green Cross code??? 7 police cars!!!!! a road closed!! and a traumatised bus driver... LOOK RIGHT LOOK LEFT LOOK RIGHT AGAIN. claretandbluetoo
  • Score: 52

9:03pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Catty girl says...

Before we start blaming the parents, the child or the bus driver let the police do there job so we know exactly what happened! And let's hope the child is ok And all involved are ok ! This could be because of the amount of traffic that flows through Colne at rush hour? And could be a reason we need a bypass? Hopefully something positive will come of this.
Before we start blaming the parents, the child or the bus driver let the police do there job so we know exactly what happened! And let's hope the child is ok And all involved are ok ! This could be because of the amount of traffic that flows through Colne at rush hour? And could be a reason we need a bypass? Hopefully something positive will come of this. Catty girl
  • Score: -22

10:45pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Pendlesider says...

question is, why, when our hospital A&E was closed in nearby Burnley, was the child taken so far away to Manchester?
.
WHEN our A&E at Burnley was closed we were told that traumas and other emergencies would be dealt with promptly at the neighbouring Royal Blackburn Hospital (RBH).
.
reality is of course that we were lied to and the RBH is so overcrowded it was placed in special measures by the Care Quality Commission.
.
more worryingly, is that the north west ambulance service are considering cutting more ambulances on nights. hope the boy is OK but this stretch of road has been a rat run for too long, no thanks to the numpties who thought boundary mill would not affect the HUGE amount of traffic in and out of yorkshire borders....
question is, why, when our hospital A&E was closed in nearby Burnley, was the child taken so far away to Manchester? . WHEN our A&E at Burnley was closed we were told that traumas and other emergencies would be dealt with promptly at the neighbouring Royal Blackburn Hospital (RBH). . reality is of course that we were lied to and the RBH is so overcrowded it was placed in special measures by the Care Quality Commission. . more worryingly, is that the north west ambulance service are considering cutting more ambulances on nights. hope the boy is OK but this stretch of road has been a rat run for too long, no thanks to the numpties who thought boundary mill would not affect the HUGE amount of traffic in and out of yorkshire borders.... Pendlesider
  • Score: 32

12:05am Tue 17 Jun 14

Steven11 says...

claretandbluetoo wrote:
what happened to the Green Cross code???

7 police cars!!!!!

a road closed!!

and a traumatised bus driver...


LOOK RIGHT LOOK LEFT LOOK RIGHT AGAIN.
That's great if you can speak or comprehend in English !
[quote][p][bold]claretandbluetoo[/bold] wrote: what happened to the Green Cross code??? 7 police cars!!!!! a road closed!! and a traumatised bus driver... LOOK RIGHT LOOK LEFT LOOK RIGHT AGAIN.[/p][/quote]That's great if you can speak or comprehend in English ! Steven11
  • Score: 36

7:45am Tue 17 Jun 14

jenkinsroy says...

I hope the kid is O.K. AND NOT IN DANGER GOOD LUCK

And the driver and passengers on board the bus are O.K.
And remember the roads are very dangerous now too many car on them.

The boy was taken by ambulance to a hospital in Manchester for treatment
WHY was he taken so far away for treatment when we have the new BURNLEY CENTER?
Could have treated him and the parents would not have to travel miles
To see him? This is a disgrace and the HEALTH MINISTER BETTER
GIVE A GOOD REASON FOR THIS ACTION BY THE ABLENCE DRIVER?
There is BURNLEY GENERAL/BLACKBURN ROYAL/AIREDALE HOSPITAL?
Round here where the kid could have been treated
So why? did they take the kid to Manchester something is not right here?
I hope that Mr DOROTHY LORD our local county councillor is going to ask
The health minister why the kid was taken so far away from home
For treatment? GOOD LUCK HOPE YOUR O.K. KID?
I hope the kid is O.K. AND NOT IN DANGER GOOD LUCK And the driver and passengers on board the bus are O.K. And remember the roads are very dangerous now too many car on them. The boy was taken by ambulance to a hospital in Manchester for treatment WHY was he taken so far away for treatment when we have the new BURNLEY CENTER? Could have treated him and the parents would not have to travel miles To see him? This is a disgrace and the HEALTH MINISTER BETTER GIVE A GOOD REASON FOR THIS ACTION BY THE ABLENCE DRIVER? There is BURNLEY GENERAL/BLACKBURN ROYAL/AIREDALE HOSPITAL? Round here where the kid could have been treated So why? did they take the kid to Manchester something is not right here? I hope that Mr DOROTHY LORD our local county councillor is going to ask The health minister why the kid was taken so far away from home For treatment? GOOD LUCK HOPE YOUR O.K. KID? jenkinsroy
  • Score: -24

8:55am Tue 17 Jun 14

Kevin, Colne says...

There are medical reasons that may necessitate taking a person injured in East Lancashire to a hospital in Manchester, or an ill person to a hospital in Blackpool or Preston. For example, the need for exceedingly specialised treatment or in the case of a child the expertise of staff at the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, which is one of the regional centres for the North West for children and young people.
There are medical reasons that may necessitate taking a person injured in East Lancashire to a hospital in Manchester, or an ill person to a hospital in Blackpool or Preston. For example, the need for exceedingly specialised treatment or in the case of a child the expertise of staff at the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, which is one of the regional centres for the North West for children and young people. Kevin, Colne
  • Score: -16

10:09am Tue 17 Jun 14

jenkinsroy says...

Kevin, Colne wrote:
There are medical reasons that may necessitate taking a person injured in East Lancashire to a hospital in Manchester, or an ill person to a hospital in Blackpool or Preston. For example, the need for exceedingly specialised treatment or in the case of a child the expertise of staff at the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, which is one of the regional centres for the North West for children and young people.
Does this mean we have NO skilled DOCTORS
in our hospitals here?
and this is the north West LANCASHIRE
Of england not East LANCASHIRE
I still think the health minister should look into this
and give us the reason why?
it seem to me a long way to go after an accident to be see?
And I HOPE THE PARENT HAVE A CAR TO GET THERE
IF NOT IT IS A LONG WAY FOR THEM TO GO DO YOU NOT THINK SO?
They must be a reason for this I think it is because of founding round
here we get none here
[quote][p][bold]Kevin, Colne[/bold] wrote: There are medical reasons that may necessitate taking a person injured in East Lancashire to a hospital in Manchester, or an ill person to a hospital in Blackpool or Preston. For example, the need for exceedingly specialised treatment or in the case of a child the expertise of staff at the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, which is one of the regional centres for the North West for children and young people.[/p][/quote]Does this mean we have NO skilled DOCTORS in our hospitals here? and this is the north West LANCASHIRE Of england not East LANCASHIRE I still think the health minister should look into this and give us the reason why? it seem to me a long way to go after an accident to be see? And I HOPE THE PARENT HAVE A CAR TO GET THERE IF NOT IT IS A LONG WAY FOR THEM TO GO DO YOU NOT THINK SO? They must be a reason for this I think it is because of founding round here we get none here jenkinsroy
  • Score: -23

12:08pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Kevin, Colne says...

jenkinsroy wrote:
Kevin, Colne wrote:
There are medical reasons that may necessitate taking a person injured in East Lancashire to a hospital in Manchester, or an ill person to a hospital in Blackpool or Preston. For example, the need for exceedingly specialised treatment or in the case of a child the expertise of staff at the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, which is one of the regional centres for the North West for children and young people.
Does this mean we have NO skilled DOCTORS
in our hospitals here?
and this is the north West LANCASHIRE
Of england not East LANCASHIRE
I still think the health minister should look into this
and give us the reason why?
it seem to me a long way to go after an accident to be see?
And I HOPE THE PARENT HAVE A CAR TO GET THERE
IF NOT IT IS A LONG WAY FOR THEM TO GO DO YOU NOT THINK SO?
They must be a reason for this I think it is because of founding round
here we get none here
Without knowledge of the injuries that the boy has sustained it is very difficult to pass comment on the reason for taking him to a hospital in Manchester.

My hope is that the boy involved in this accident has been taken to the very best place and can receive the very best treatment so that he will make a full recovery.

We have a great many highly skilled doctors in the hospitals at Burnley and Blackburn but some specialities, or aspects of specialities, are concentrated in certain centres. For example, there are cardiac facilities at Blackburn but the main centre for the county is located at Blackpool. This is the reason that some patients when they suffer a heart attack in Colne or Nelson will be taken straight to Blackpool.

Similarly, those with a severe head injury may require the skills of a doctor that is available only at a specialist neurology centre; and I believe that this is based in Preston. Likewise those with severe life-threatening burns will invariably be taken to the regional burns unit.

My understanding of the situation is that the concentration of acute specialities produces better clinical outcomes.

My understanding of geography is that north west Lancashire would be Lancaster and Blackburn-Burnley-Co
lne to be East Lancashire, but I must confess that it is a long time since I studied geography.
[quote][p][bold]jenkinsroy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kevin, Colne[/bold] wrote: There are medical reasons that may necessitate taking a person injured in East Lancashire to a hospital in Manchester, or an ill person to a hospital in Blackpool or Preston. For example, the need for exceedingly specialised treatment or in the case of a child the expertise of staff at the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, which is one of the regional centres for the North West for children and young people.[/p][/quote]Does this mean we have NO skilled DOCTORS in our hospitals here? and this is the north West LANCASHIRE Of england not East LANCASHIRE I still think the health minister should look into this and give us the reason why? it seem to me a long way to go after an accident to be see? And I HOPE THE PARENT HAVE A CAR TO GET THERE IF NOT IT IS A LONG WAY FOR THEM TO GO DO YOU NOT THINK SO? They must be a reason for this I think it is because of founding round here we get none here[/p][/quote]Without knowledge of the injuries that the boy has sustained it is very difficult to pass comment on the reason for taking him to a hospital in Manchester. My hope is that the boy involved in this accident has been taken to the very best place and can receive the very best treatment so that he will make a full recovery. We have a great many highly skilled doctors in the hospitals at Burnley and Blackburn but some specialities, or aspects of specialities, are concentrated in certain centres. For example, there are cardiac facilities at Blackburn but the main centre for the county is located at Blackpool. This is the reason that some patients when they suffer a heart attack in Colne or Nelson will be taken straight to Blackpool. Similarly, those with a severe head injury may require the skills of a doctor that is available only at a specialist neurology centre; and I believe that this is based in Preston. Likewise those with severe life-threatening burns will invariably be taken to the regional burns unit. My understanding of the situation is that the concentration of acute specialities produces better clinical outcomes. My understanding of geography is that north west Lancashire would be Lancaster and Blackburn-Burnley-Co lne to be East Lancashire, but I must confess that it is a long time since I studied geography. Kevin, Colne
  • Score: 16

2:34pm Tue 17 Jun 14

jenkinsroy says...

Kevin, Colne wrote:
jenkinsroy wrote:
Kevin, Colne wrote:
There are medical reasons that may necessitate taking a person injured in East Lancashire to a hospital in Manchester, or an ill person to a hospital in Blackpool or Preston. For example, the need for exceedingly specialised treatment or in the case of a child the expertise of staff at the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, which is one of the regional centres for the North West for children and young people.
Does this mean we have NO skilled DOCTORS
in our hospitals here?
and this is the north West LANCASHIRE
Of england not East LANCASHIRE
I still think the health minister should look into this
and give us the reason why?
it seem to me a long way to go after an accident to be see?
And I HOPE THE PARENT HAVE A CAR TO GET THERE
IF NOT IT IS A LONG WAY FOR THEM TO GO DO YOU NOT THINK SO?
They must be a reason for this I think it is because of founding round
here we get none here
Without knowledge of the injuries that the boy has sustained it is very difficult to pass comment on the reason for taking him to a hospital in Manchester.

My hope is that the boy involved in this accident has been taken to the very best place and can receive the very best treatment so that he will make a full recovery.

We have a great many highly skilled doctors in the hospitals at Burnley and Blackburn but some specialities, or aspects of specialities, are concentrated in certain centres. For example, there are cardiac facilities at Blackburn but the main centre for the county is located at Blackpool. This is the reason that some patients when they suffer a heart attack in Colne or Nelson will be taken straight to Blackpool.

Similarly, those with a severe head injury may require the skills of a doctor that is available only at a specialist neurology centre; and I believe that this is based in Preston. Likewise those with severe life-threatening burns will invariably be taken to the regional burns unit.

My understanding of the situation is that the concentration of acute specialities produces better clinical outcomes.

My understanding of geography is that north west Lancashire would be Lancaster and Blackburn-Burnley-Co

lne to be East Lancashire, but I must confess that it is a long time since I studied geography.
I thank you for your replay?

What happens when the person that is taken to one
Of the outer hospital not local E.I. BLACKPOOL/MANCHESTER
/
LONDON and so on let’s say the person is not that bad this is good
My point is they will release the person in the middle of the night
Or early morning right?
1 wrong assessment been made by the ambulance staff
The person is not in need of the hospital taken to.
Waste of time and money yes or no?
2 How does that person get home?
Do not forget he or she was picked up at the scene of an accident no money?
No help this is what is happening now.
I have had this done to me miles away from home nobody there
To help just told you are O.K. and can go home this is the very thing are going NOW?
I do think the minister of health needs to ask why the ambulance are
Drivers taking us so far away for treatment as I said before something
Is NOT RIGHT HERE and the cost must be more to travel.
To MANCHESTER/BLACKPOOL /LONDON do you not agree?
This proves the founding is all down the south LONDON/MANCHESTER
And we up here only get the leftover to keep our hospitals OPEN HERE
Do you think the minister should look into this problem yes or no?
[quote][p][bold]Kevin, Colne[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jenkinsroy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kevin, Colne[/bold] wrote: There are medical reasons that may necessitate taking a person injured in East Lancashire to a hospital in Manchester, or an ill person to a hospital in Blackpool or Preston. For example, the need for exceedingly specialised treatment or in the case of a child the expertise of staff at the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, which is one of the regional centres for the North West for children and young people.[/p][/quote]Does this mean we have NO skilled DOCTORS in our hospitals here? and this is the north West LANCASHIRE Of england not East LANCASHIRE I still think the health minister should look into this and give us the reason why? it seem to me a long way to go after an accident to be see? And I HOPE THE PARENT HAVE A CAR TO GET THERE IF NOT IT IS A LONG WAY FOR THEM TO GO DO YOU NOT THINK SO? They must be a reason for this I think it is because of founding round here we get none here[/p][/quote]Without knowledge of the injuries that the boy has sustained it is very difficult to pass comment on the reason for taking him to a hospital in Manchester. My hope is that the boy involved in this accident has been taken to the very best place and can receive the very best treatment so that he will make a full recovery. We have a great many highly skilled doctors in the hospitals at Burnley and Blackburn but some specialities, or aspects of specialities, are concentrated in certain centres. For example, there are cardiac facilities at Blackburn but the main centre for the county is located at Blackpool. This is the reason that some patients when they suffer a heart attack in Colne or Nelson will be taken straight to Blackpool. Similarly, those with a severe head injury may require the skills of a doctor that is available only at a specialist neurology centre; and I believe that this is based in Preston. Likewise those with severe life-threatening burns will invariably be taken to the regional burns unit. My understanding of the situation is that the concentration of acute specialities produces better clinical outcomes. My understanding of geography is that north west Lancashire would be Lancaster and Blackburn-Burnley-Co lne to be East Lancashire, but I must confess that it is a long time since I studied geography.[/p][/quote]I thank you for your replay? What happens when the person that is taken to one Of the outer hospital not local E.I. BLACKPOOL/MANCHESTER / LONDON and so on let’s say the person is not that bad this is good My point is they will release the person in the middle of the night Or early morning right? 1 wrong assessment been made by the ambulance staff The person is not in need of the hospital taken to. Waste of time and money yes or no? 2 How does that person get home? Do not forget he or she was picked up at the scene of an accident no money? No help this is what is happening now. I have had this done to me miles away from home nobody there To help just told you are O.K. and can go home this is the very thing are going NOW? I do think the minister of health needs to ask why the ambulance are Drivers taking us so far away for treatment as I said before something Is NOT RIGHT HERE and the cost must be more to travel. To MANCHESTER/BLACKPOOL /LONDON do you not agree? This proves the founding is all down the south LONDON/MANCHESTER And we up here only get the leftover to keep our hospitals OPEN HERE Do you think the minister should look into this problem yes or no? jenkinsroy
  • Score: -18

6:17pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Kevin, Colne says...

Jenkinsroy,

The issue, I think, is how many people who in an emergency situation and who, in your words, are not that bad are being taken by the ambulance service to hospitals beyond the locality? We do not have the figures and while I accept you have had this experience the question then is whether your experience is typical of the population as a whole? Or is it a very infrequent occurrence? This in no way diminishes the unsatisfactory nature of your experience, but would allow us to place it in overall context of the service as a whole.

I do not know how often ambulance staff make a wrong assessment. I remember the days when ambulance personnel were simply, patch, fetch and carry. Today they are paramedics who are well trained and highly skilled and administer procedures that in years gone by would have been undertaken by doctors on arrival at casualty.

Often when a road accident occurs the ambulance service will send a first responder as well as an ambulance and I would imagine that the decisions they make, including which hospital to take the injured person to, are done as a team and on occasion in consultation with ambulance control or the local hospitals.

In any case I would have thought that the ambulance service as a matter of general policy would wish to take injured people to the nearest suitable hospital where appropriate treatment can be administered so that the ambulance and crew can be used to maximum efficiency and thus respond to the next emergency call as quickly as possible.

Sometimes, however, the injury will be such that exceedingly specialized treatment is required that is available at certain designated centres only. I guess they could take the patient to the local casualty unit for referral onto the designated centre but the judgment may be that direct transportation to said centre is required. There may be occasions when the initial assessment of serious injury upon further investigation is found to be incorrect and that minor injury has occurred, and vice-versa. Such is the nature of medicine.

I have no detailed knowledge of NHS funding per region or by capita but my observations and direct experience of the NHS locally suggests to me that an awful lot of money has been put into improving the infrastructure and services. In terms of infrastructure I would cite the new Royal Blackburn Hospital, the developments at Burnley General Hospital and the new Colne Health Centre as examples of large capital expenditure. Moreover, there are procedures now available at Blackburn where previously one had to travel outside the area.

This not to say that everything in the NHS is fine, far from it. The NHS is making cuts and I simply can’t believe that these can be undertaken without some detriment to service on the front-line. I suspect that the ambulance service is not immune from this.

Kevin
Jenkinsroy, The issue, I think, is how many people who in an emergency situation and who, in your words, are not that bad are being taken by the ambulance service to hospitals beyond the locality? We do not have the figures and while I accept you have had this experience the question then is whether your experience is typical of the population as a whole? Or is it a very infrequent occurrence? This in no way diminishes the unsatisfactory nature of your experience, but would allow us to place it in overall context of the service as a whole. I do not know how often ambulance staff make a wrong assessment. I remember the days when ambulance personnel were simply, patch, fetch and carry. Today they are paramedics who are well trained and highly skilled and administer procedures that in years gone by would have been undertaken by doctors on arrival at casualty. Often when a road accident occurs the ambulance service will send a first responder as well as an ambulance and I would imagine that the decisions they make, including which hospital to take the injured person to, are done as a team and on occasion in consultation with ambulance control or the local hospitals. In any case I would have thought that the ambulance service as a matter of general policy would wish to take injured people to the nearest suitable hospital where appropriate treatment can be administered so that the ambulance and crew can be used to maximum efficiency and thus respond to the next emergency call as quickly as possible. Sometimes, however, the injury will be such that exceedingly specialized treatment is required that is available at certain designated centres only. I guess they could take the patient to the local casualty unit for referral onto the designated centre but the judgment may be that direct transportation to said centre is required. There may be occasions when the initial assessment of serious injury upon further investigation is found to be incorrect and that minor injury has occurred, and vice-versa. Such is the nature of medicine. I have no detailed knowledge of NHS funding per region or by capita but my observations and direct experience of the NHS locally suggests to me that an awful lot of money has been put into improving the infrastructure and services. In terms of infrastructure I would cite the new Royal Blackburn Hospital, the developments at Burnley General Hospital and the new Colne Health Centre as examples of large capital expenditure. Moreover, there are procedures now available at Blackburn where previously one had to travel outside the area. This not to say that everything in the NHS is fine, far from it. The NHS is making cuts and I simply can’t believe that these can be undertaken without some detriment to service on the front-line. I suspect that the ambulance service is not immune from this. Kevin Kevin, Colne
  • Score: -11

7:01pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Pat Howarth says...

This was an 8 yr old boy...a child . Taken to the children's hospital.
If he were your child you'd want him in the place most suitable to help him....
Ok...maybe he didn't know the Green Cross Code....just because we did doesn't mean to say everyone does.
Maybe he does know how to cross the road safely but was distracted as 8 yr olds often are.....
All that really matters at this time is the child's health and his recovery.
The bus driver will be very shaken up and he'll need to recover.
So the road was closed at the busiest time of the day....big deal. Thank the lord it wasn't your child lying in the road.

OK, Questions need to be answered but....since when did we decide which hospital a child goes to when it's been in a serious accident...that's up to the trained personnel on the scene at the time of the accident.

The boy is ok...his mother says so. THANK GOD FOR THAT IF NOTHING ELSE.

Time the reporters got their facts right though.
This was an 8 yr old boy...a child . Taken to the children's hospital. If he were your child you'd want him in the place most suitable to help him.... Ok...maybe he didn't know the Green Cross Code....just because we did doesn't mean to say everyone does. Maybe he does know how to cross the road safely but was distracted as 8 yr olds often are..... All that really matters at this time is the child's health and his recovery. The bus driver will be very shaken up and he'll need to recover. So the road was closed at the busiest time of the day....big deal. Thank the lord it wasn't your child lying in the road. OK, Questions need to be answered but....since when did we decide which hospital a child goes to when it's been in a serious accident...that's up to the trained personnel on the scene at the time of the accident. The boy is ok...his mother says so. THANK GOD FOR THAT IF NOTHING ELSE. Time the reporters got their facts right though. Pat Howarth
  • Score: 13

9:36am Wed 18 Jun 14

jenkinsroy says...

Kevin, Colne wrote:
Jenkinsroy,

The issue, I think, is how many people who in an emergency situation and who, in your words, are not that bad are being taken by the ambulance service to hospitals beyond the locality? We do not have the figures and while I accept you have had this experience the question then is whether your experience is typical of the population as a whole? Or is it a very infrequent occurrence? This in no way diminishes the unsatisfactory nature of your experience, but would allow us to place it in overall context of the service as a whole.

I do not know how often ambulance staff make a wrong assessment. I remember the days when ambulance personnel were simply, patch, fetch and carry. Today they are paramedics who are well trained and highly skilled and administer procedures that in years gone by would have been undertaken by doctors on arrival at casualty.

Often when a road accident occurs the ambulance service will send a first responder as well as an ambulance and I would imagine that the decisions they make, including which hospital to take the injured person to, are done as a team and on occasion in consultation with ambulance control or the local hospitals.

In any case I would have thought that the ambulance service as a matter of general policy would wish to take injured people to the nearest suitable hospital where appropriate treatment can be administered so that the ambulance and crew can be used to maximum efficiency and thus respond to the next emergency call as quickly as possible.

Sometimes, however, the injury will be such that exceedingly specialized treatment is required that is available at certain designated centres only. I guess they could take the patient to the local casualty unit for referral onto the designated centre but the judgment may be that direct transportation to said centre is required. There may be occasions when the initial assessment of serious injury upon further investigation is found to be incorrect and that minor injury has occurred, and vice-versa. Such is the nature of medicine.

I have no detailed knowledge of NHS funding per region or by capita but my observations and direct experience of the NHS locally suggests to me that an awful lot of money has been put into improving the infrastructure and services. In terms of infrastructure I would cite the new Royal Blackburn Hospital, the developments at Burnley General Hospital and the new Colne Health Centre as examples of large capital expenditure. Moreover, there are procedures now available at Blackburn where previously one had to travel outside the area.

This not to say that everything in the NHS is fine, far from it. The NHS is making cuts and I simply can’t believe that these can be undertaken without some detriment to service on the front-line. I suspect that the ambulance service is not immune from this.

Kevin
Your comment is very good BUT?
But answer this what is the point of building?
NEW HOSPITAL LOCAL and still sending the person
Involved in an accident to a hospital outside where they live?
AS I have said before they do this so the input of patient
In the outside hospital goes up there.
So the government look at all the figures and say this hospital
Should get more funding here why because they have more turnover
According to the figures they receive true yes or no?
I think yes so now all the money is starting to be spent?
ONLY IN THAT AREA YES? And not down this side of the county
AS I said earlier it is no good having good hospital LOCAL IF THE
PERSON IS TAKE MILES AWAY FROM THEIR AREA DO YOU NOT
THINK SO?
This is what the health minister need to address now it is not right
And it is getting more and more frequent now.
It’s like a lottery now unjust and dangerous.
And one day someone will lose their life.
By being taken too far out for treatment
Our M.P. must address this problem NOW
[quote][p][bold]Kevin, Colne[/bold] wrote: Jenkinsroy, The issue, I think, is how many people who in an emergency situation and who, in your words, are not that bad are being taken by the ambulance service to hospitals beyond the locality? We do not have the figures and while I accept you have had this experience the question then is whether your experience is typical of the population as a whole? Or is it a very infrequent occurrence? This in no way diminishes the unsatisfactory nature of your experience, but would allow us to place it in overall context of the service as a whole. I do not know how often ambulance staff make a wrong assessment. I remember the days when ambulance personnel were simply, patch, fetch and carry. Today they are paramedics who are well trained and highly skilled and administer procedures that in years gone by would have been undertaken by doctors on arrival at casualty. Often when a road accident occurs the ambulance service will send a first responder as well as an ambulance and I would imagine that the decisions they make, including which hospital to take the injured person to, are done as a team and on occasion in consultation with ambulance control or the local hospitals. In any case I would have thought that the ambulance service as a matter of general policy would wish to take injured people to the nearest suitable hospital where appropriate treatment can be administered so that the ambulance and crew can be used to maximum efficiency and thus respond to the next emergency call as quickly as possible. Sometimes, however, the injury will be such that exceedingly specialized treatment is required that is available at certain designated centres only. I guess they could take the patient to the local casualty unit for referral onto the designated centre but the judgment may be that direct transportation to said centre is required. There may be occasions when the initial assessment of serious injury upon further investigation is found to be incorrect and that minor injury has occurred, and vice-versa. Such is the nature of medicine. I have no detailed knowledge of NHS funding per region or by capita but my observations and direct experience of the NHS locally suggests to me that an awful lot of money has been put into improving the infrastructure and services. In terms of infrastructure I would cite the new Royal Blackburn Hospital, the developments at Burnley General Hospital and the new Colne Health Centre as examples of large capital expenditure. Moreover, there are procedures now available at Blackburn where previously one had to travel outside the area. This not to say that everything in the NHS is fine, far from it. The NHS is making cuts and I simply can’t believe that these can be undertaken without some detriment to service on the front-line. I suspect that the ambulance service is not immune from this. Kevin[/p][/quote]Your comment is very good BUT? But answer this what is the point of building? NEW HOSPITAL LOCAL and still sending the person Involved in an accident to a hospital outside where they live? AS I have said before they do this so the input of patient In the outside hospital goes up there. So the government look at all the figures and say this hospital Should get more funding here why because they have more turnover According to the figures they receive true yes or no? I think yes so now all the money is starting to be spent? ONLY IN THAT AREA YES? And not down this side of the county AS I said earlier it is no good having good hospital LOCAL IF THE PERSON IS TAKE MILES AWAY FROM THEIR AREA DO YOU NOT THINK SO? This is what the health minister need to address now it is not right And it is getting more and more frequent now. It’s like a lottery now unjust and dangerous. And one day someone will lose their life. By being taken too far out for treatment Our M.P. must address this problem NOW jenkinsroy
  • Score: -12

12:05pm Wed 18 Jun 14

Kevin, Colne says...

jenkinsroy wrote:
Kevin, Colne wrote:
Jenkinsroy,

The issue, I think, is how many people who in an emergency situation and who, in your words, are not that bad are being taken by the ambulance service to hospitals beyond the locality? We do not have the figures and while I accept you have had this experience the question then is whether your experience is typical of the population as a whole? Or is it a very infrequent occurrence? This in no way diminishes the unsatisfactory nature of your experience, but would allow us to place it in overall context of the service as a whole.

I do not know how often ambulance staff make a wrong assessment. I remember the days when ambulance personnel were simply, patch, fetch and carry. Today they are paramedics who are well trained and highly skilled and administer procedures that in years gone by would have been undertaken by doctors on arrival at casualty.

Often when a road accident occurs the ambulance service will send a first responder as well as an ambulance and I would imagine that the decisions they make, including which hospital to take the injured person to, are done as a team and on occasion in consultation with ambulance control or the local hospitals.

In any case I would have thought that the ambulance service as a matter of general policy would wish to take injured people to the nearest suitable hospital where appropriate treatment can be administered so that the ambulance and crew can be used to maximum efficiency and thus respond to the next emergency call as quickly as possible.

Sometimes, however, the injury will be such that exceedingly specialized treatment is required that is available at certain designated centres only. I guess they could take the patient to the local casualty unit for referral onto the designated centre but the judgment may be that direct transportation to said centre is required. There may be occasions when the initial assessment of serious injury upon further investigation is found to be incorrect and that minor injury has occurred, and vice-versa. Such is the nature of medicine.

I have no detailed knowledge of NHS funding per region or by capita but my observations and direct experience of the NHS locally suggests to me that an awful lot of money has been put into improving the infrastructure and services. In terms of infrastructure I would cite the new Royal Blackburn Hospital, the developments at Burnley General Hospital and the new Colne Health Centre as examples of large capital expenditure. Moreover, there are procedures now available at Blackburn where previously one had to travel outside the area.

This not to say that everything in the NHS is fine, far from it. The NHS is making cuts and I simply can’t believe that these can be undertaken without some detriment to service on the front-line. I suspect that the ambulance service is not immune from this.

Kevin
Your comment is very good BUT?
But answer this what is the point of building?
NEW HOSPITAL LOCAL and still sending the person
Involved in an accident to a hospital outside where they live?
AS I have said before they do this so the input of patient
In the outside hospital goes up there.
So the government look at all the figures and say this hospital
Should get more funding here why because they have more turnover
According to the figures they receive true yes or no?
I think yes so now all the money is starting to be spent?
ONLY IN THAT AREA YES? And not down this side of the county
AS I said earlier it is no good having good hospital LOCAL IF THE
PERSON IS TAKE MILES AWAY FROM THEIR AREA DO YOU NOT
THINK SO?
This is what the health minister need to address now it is not right
And it is getting more and more frequent now.
It’s like a lottery now unjust and dangerous.
And one day someone will lose their life.
By being taken too far out for treatment
Our M.P. must address this problem NOW
As Pat Howarth says the decision about where to take casualties is undertaken by trained paramedics and I contend that the primary factor is the clinical needs of the patient. Your postings suggest that you hold a different view and if you have convincing and robust statistical evidence to support your argument may I respectfully suggest that you either place this in the public domain or take the details to our M.P.

By and large I think that the ambulance service does a good job with superb personnel.

I have to say in all fairness to you that I struggle to get my mind around the idea that the ambulance service, as an act of deliberate policy and as a matter of routine, is taking people to centres further than needed. To do so would mean that the ambulance service would have to deploy a far greater number of vehicles and staff, thus adding greatly to costs of operation; and would more than likely have even greater difficulty in meeting targets on response times which represent one of the key metrics by which the service is judged.

The fact that we have new local hospitals does not mean that they have the expertise to deal with every emergency, and where this is the case then then a patient should be taken to a hospital with the ability to deal with their injuries or condition.

I do not know how casualty services are funded. It may be on the basis of usage or the basis of catchment area or quite possibly some complex formula that few outside the NHS can understand.

From what I have read the Minor Injury Unit at Burnley could accommodate greater usage, while A&E at Blackburn is working to and at times beyond capacity.

The argument about distance travelled to casualty and survival is an interesting one. I’ve read conflicting reports on the matter and have been unable to form a firm view. In other words I have an open mind on the subject, and I am awaiting further evidence.
[quote][p][bold]jenkinsroy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kevin, Colne[/bold] wrote: Jenkinsroy, The issue, I think, is how many people who in an emergency situation and who, in your words, are not that bad are being taken by the ambulance service to hospitals beyond the locality? We do not have the figures and while I accept you have had this experience the question then is whether your experience is typical of the population as a whole? Or is it a very infrequent occurrence? This in no way diminishes the unsatisfactory nature of your experience, but would allow us to place it in overall context of the service as a whole. I do not know how often ambulance staff make a wrong assessment. I remember the days when ambulance personnel were simply, patch, fetch and carry. Today they are paramedics who are well trained and highly skilled and administer procedures that in years gone by would have been undertaken by doctors on arrival at casualty. Often when a road accident occurs the ambulance service will send a first responder as well as an ambulance and I would imagine that the decisions they make, including which hospital to take the injured person to, are done as a team and on occasion in consultation with ambulance control or the local hospitals. In any case I would have thought that the ambulance service as a matter of general policy would wish to take injured people to the nearest suitable hospital where appropriate treatment can be administered so that the ambulance and crew can be used to maximum efficiency and thus respond to the next emergency call as quickly as possible. Sometimes, however, the injury will be such that exceedingly specialized treatment is required that is available at certain designated centres only. I guess they could take the patient to the local casualty unit for referral onto the designated centre but the judgment may be that direct transportation to said centre is required. There may be occasions when the initial assessment of serious injury upon further investigation is found to be incorrect and that minor injury has occurred, and vice-versa. Such is the nature of medicine. I have no detailed knowledge of NHS funding per region or by capita but my observations and direct experience of the NHS locally suggests to me that an awful lot of money has been put into improving the infrastructure and services. In terms of infrastructure I would cite the new Royal Blackburn Hospital, the developments at Burnley General Hospital and the new Colne Health Centre as examples of large capital expenditure. Moreover, there are procedures now available at Blackburn where previously one had to travel outside the area. This not to say that everything in the NHS is fine, far from it. The NHS is making cuts and I simply can’t believe that these can be undertaken without some detriment to service on the front-line. I suspect that the ambulance service is not immune from this. Kevin[/p][/quote]Your comment is very good BUT? But answer this what is the point of building? NEW HOSPITAL LOCAL and still sending the person Involved in an accident to a hospital outside where they live? AS I have said before they do this so the input of patient In the outside hospital goes up there. So the government look at all the figures and say this hospital Should get more funding here why because they have more turnover According to the figures they receive true yes or no? I think yes so now all the money is starting to be spent? ONLY IN THAT AREA YES? And not down this side of the county AS I said earlier it is no good having good hospital LOCAL IF THE PERSON IS TAKE MILES AWAY FROM THEIR AREA DO YOU NOT THINK SO? This is what the health minister need to address now it is not right And it is getting more and more frequent now. It’s like a lottery now unjust and dangerous. And one day someone will lose their life. By being taken too far out for treatment Our M.P. must address this problem NOW[/p][/quote]As Pat Howarth says the decision about where to take casualties is undertaken by trained paramedics and I contend that the primary factor is the clinical needs of the patient. Your postings suggest that you hold a different view and if you have convincing and robust statistical evidence to support your argument may I respectfully suggest that you either place this in the public domain or take the details to our M.P. By and large I think that the ambulance service does a good job with superb personnel. I have to say in all fairness to you that I struggle to get my mind around the idea that the ambulance service, as an act of deliberate policy and as a matter of routine, is taking people to centres further than needed. To do so would mean that the ambulance service would have to deploy a far greater number of vehicles and staff, thus adding greatly to costs of operation; and would more than likely have even greater difficulty in meeting targets on response times which represent one of the key metrics by which the service is judged. The fact that we have new local hospitals does not mean that they have the expertise to deal with every emergency, and where this is the case then then a patient should be taken to a hospital with the ability to deal with their injuries or condition. I do not know how casualty services are funded. It may be on the basis of usage or the basis of catchment area or quite possibly some complex formula that few outside the NHS can understand. From what I have read the Minor Injury Unit at Burnley could accommodate greater usage, while A&E at Blackburn is working to and at times beyond capacity. The argument about distance travelled to casualty and survival is an interesting one. I’ve read conflicting reports on the matter and have been unable to form a firm view. In other words I have an open mind on the subject, and I am awaiting further evidence. Kevin, Colne
  • Score: -5

7:21pm Sun 22 Jun 14

Colne2 says...

He was knocked over around 20 yards from a zebra crossing... And further up was another crossing...
It's the driver I feel sorry for.
It's a shame when kids try to cross the rd without using the crossing.
It's what they are there for.. To cross safely,.
He was knocked over around 20 yards from a zebra crossing... And further up was another crossing... It's the driver I feel sorry for. It's a shame when kids try to cross the rd without using the crossing. It's what they are there for.. To cross safely,. Colne2
  • Score: 8

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree