Oddies bakery in Brierfield up for sale

A BRIERFIELD institution could disappear from the town centre if a buyer is found for the building.
Oddies bakery has been put up for sale, and a spokeswoman confirmed the shop may leave Brierfield altogether.
She said the Brierfield branch of the popular East Lancashire chain may be closed to make way for a new shop in Blackburn town centre, in addition to the existing outlet in Blackburn market.
The spokeswoman said the shop may close because it is ‘not very’ profitable, which she admitted could be due to the ethnic make-up of the area.
She said: “It’s not definite, it’s up for sale.
“It’s not very profitable. We’re possibly looking at opening another shop elsewhere, in Blackburn town centre.”
The spokeswoman also said that work was needed to the building.
She said: “We’ve spent a lot of money on the property, but work needs to be done on part of the roof, at the back.
“We own the building. It needs some money spending on it if we sell it, but that will depend on getting a suitable buyer.”
Local residents have said they will miss the popular bakery if it leaves Brierfield.
Simon Rushton, 34, who lives in Reedley Road, said: “I’ve got a slightly unhealthy obsession with parkin, so I will miss Oddies!
“It’s been there for years.
“It’s been there all my life, or for as long as I can remember anyway.
“I’ll shop elsewhere if it goes. It’s a nice luxury, and if I’m in Nelson or Burnley I’d shop there, but I wouldn’t go out of my way.
“I don’t think it’s to do with the nature of the area. They’ve not moved with the times.
“They’ve kept the same products but the prices haven’t gone up and they haven’t kept competitive.”

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:08pm Sat 15 Mar 14

sen c b l says...

How on earth can you be profitable in Blackburn , if the ethnic make up of Brierfirld is the reason as you say for your loss of income.
If the company considered improving its quality of product and more importantly recruiting pleasent staff rather than placing dummies whose smiles have either been carved out or lips stitched up together resulting in teeth unable to be seen and frowning and looks that would melt the ice, when certain members of the community were to step in to the cess pit-krapoddies' maybe you could soon see the business flourish and once again maintain top spot like its closest competitor and then report solid profits, but oddies as odd they are, dont think so!
How on earth can you be profitable in Blackburn , if the ethnic make up of Brierfirld is the reason as you say for your loss of income. If the company considered improving its quality of product and more importantly recruiting pleasent staff rather than placing dummies whose smiles have either been carved out or lips stitched up together resulting in teeth unable to be seen and frowning and looks that would melt the ice, when certain members of the community were to step in to the cess pit-krapoddies' maybe you could soon see the business flourish and once again maintain top spot like its closest competitor and then report solid profits, but oddies as odd they are, dont think so! sen c b l
  • Score: 7

10:43pm Sat 15 Mar 14

glossopkid says...

I've been told by certain people in the area that the staff were not so friendly and even want as far to say that a child was bought to tears because the dummy behind the counter hadn't heard the "please" clearly.
Loss of income wont be any better if you are moving to blackburn, exactly same make-up as brierfield in population wise.
I've been told by certain people in the area that the staff were not so friendly and even want as far to say that a child was bought to tears because the dummy behind the counter hadn't heard the "please" clearly. Loss of income wont be any better if you are moving to blackburn, exactly same make-up as brierfield in population wise. glossopkid
  • Score: 8

11:36pm Sat 15 Mar 14

Reality50 says...

It's Brierfield so no need to worry as there will be loads of Islamics looking to build another mosque or Islamic centre.
It's Brierfield so no need to worry as there will be loads of Islamics looking to build another mosque or Islamic centre. Reality50
  • Score: 4

5:16am Sun 16 Mar 14

Pendle power says...

Islamics lol you couldn't make it up
Islamics lol you couldn't make it up Pendle power
  • Score: -3

5:27am Sun 16 Mar 14

Pendle power says...

This shop already shuts at 3pm. I have come across the area manager a few times and she is more miserable than the staff. Unfortunately the shelves are usually empty and Oddies have stopped investing money into this shop. Another one bites the dust. The butchers a few doors away seem to be doing fine despite the ethnic makeup. Maybe they should reduce their prices an give better customer service and they might survive.
This shop already shuts at 3pm. I have come across the area manager a few times and she is more miserable than the staff. Unfortunately the shelves are usually empty and Oddies have stopped investing money into this shop. Another one bites the dust. The butchers a few doors away seem to be doing fine despite the ethnic makeup. Maybe they should reduce their prices an give better customer service and they might survive. Pendle power
  • Score: 9

10:41am Sun 16 Mar 14

Izanears says...

The headline should have been, Oddies to close shop. It was very misleading because the bakery is actually in NELSON.
The headline should have been, Oddies to close shop. It was very misleading because the bakery is actually in NELSON. Izanears
  • Score: 3

10:52am Sun 16 Mar 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

It might survive if someone teaches the staff how to bake.
It might survive if someone teaches the staff how to bake. 2 for 5p ridesagain
  • Score: 1

7:38pm Sun 16 Mar 14

cj00 says...

Oddies in Brierfield are struggling due to competition, plain and simple! Brierfield Bakery (on the corner of Regent Street) is doing quite well. Arnies Sarnies which is two blocks away from Oddies, is also doing quite well. Then there is the tea room/café (on Colne Road) which is also doing quite well. If it was due to the 'ethnic make-up' then all these businesses would be struggling. Oddies was quite busy a few years ago, but the shop just seems empty nowadays. They even close at 3pm!
Oddies in Brierfield are struggling due to competition, plain and simple! Brierfield Bakery (on the corner of Regent Street) is doing quite well. Arnies Sarnies which is two blocks away from Oddies, is also doing quite well. Then there is the tea room/café (on Colne Road) which is also doing quite well. If it was due to the 'ethnic make-up' then all these businesses would be struggling. Oddies was quite busy a few years ago, but the shop just seems empty nowadays. They even close at 3pm! cj00
  • Score: 0

11:00am Mon 17 Mar 14

hugofakenham says...

cj00 wrote:
Oddies in Brierfield are struggling due to competition, plain and simple! Brierfield Bakery (on the corner of Regent Street) is doing quite well. Arnies Sarnies which is two blocks away from Oddies, is also doing quite well. Then there is the tea room/café (on Colne Road) which is also doing quite well. If it was due to the 'ethnic make-up' then all these businesses would be struggling. Oddies was quite busy a few years ago, but the shop just seems empty nowadays. They even close at 3pm!
it's not due to the produce being poor as it's actually very good quality.
Maybe it is the staff. Years back the assistants were really pleasant.
[quote][p][bold]cj00[/bold] wrote: Oddies in Brierfield are struggling due to competition, plain and simple! Brierfield Bakery (on the corner of Regent Street) is doing quite well. Arnies Sarnies which is two blocks away from Oddies, is also doing quite well. Then there is the tea room/café (on Colne Road) which is also doing quite well. If it was due to the 'ethnic make-up' then all these businesses would be struggling. Oddies was quite busy a few years ago, but the shop just seems empty nowadays. They even close at 3pm![/p][/quote]it's not due to the produce being poor as it's actually very good quality. Maybe it is the staff. Years back the assistants were really pleasant. hugofakenham
  • Score: 0

11:33am Mon 17 Mar 14

HecticBigBoy says...

cj00 wrote:
Oddies in Brierfield are struggling due to competition, plain and simple! Brierfield Bakery (on the corner of Regent Street) is doing quite well. Arnies Sarnies which is two blocks away from Oddies, is also doing quite well. Then there is the tea room/café (on Colne Road) which is also doing quite well. If it was due to the 'ethnic make-up' then all these businesses would be struggling. Oddies was quite busy a few years ago, but the shop just seems empty nowadays. They even close at 3pm!
Arnies sarnies is actually closed and for sale, Brierfield Bakery is extremely good and MUCH cheaper than Oddies though therefore its busy!
[quote][p][bold]cj00[/bold] wrote: Oddies in Brierfield are struggling due to competition, plain and simple! Brierfield Bakery (on the corner of Regent Street) is doing quite well. Arnies Sarnies which is two blocks away from Oddies, is also doing quite well. Then there is the tea room/café (on Colne Road) which is also doing quite well. If it was due to the 'ethnic make-up' then all these businesses would be struggling. Oddies was quite busy a few years ago, but the shop just seems empty nowadays. They even close at 3pm![/p][/quote]Arnies sarnies is actually closed and for sale, Brierfield Bakery is extremely good and MUCH cheaper than Oddies though therefore its busy! HecticBigBoy
  • Score: 0

9:41pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Openminded? says...

Reality50 wrote:
It's Brierfield so no need to worry as there will be loads of Islamics looking to build another mosque or Islamic centre.
Islamics, word of the week, what a tw4t
[quote][p][bold]Reality50[/bold] wrote: It's Brierfield so no need to worry as there will be loads of Islamics looking to build another mosque or Islamic centre.[/p][/quote]Islamics, word of the week, what a tw4t Openminded?
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree