Re-opening Colne-Skipton railway line 'would be financially viable'

Burnley and Pendle Citizen: Re-opening Colne-Skipton railway line 'would be financially viable' Re-opening Colne-Skipton railway line 'would be financially viable'

RE-OPENING the railway line between Colne and Skipton would be financially viable, according to a new report.

Consultants ARUP were appointed to look at the social and economic case for reinstating the line by campaigners from SELRAP (Skipton-East Lancashire Rail Action Partnership), who are hoping to restore the line.

The findings from the feasibility study will be revealed at the group's AGM next week.

Andy Shackleton, liaison officer at SELRAP, said: “The report reveals that the line between Colne and Skipton was not listed for closure by Beeching.

“It also shows that figures within the 1963 report show that, at the time, the route between Burnley and Earby via Colne was carrying between 5,000 and 10,000 passengers per week and that between Earby and Skipton it was carrying between 10,000 and 50,000 passengers per week.

“It points out that a report published by the Ministry of Transport British Railways Board in 1967 cited the Burnley to Skipton (and Leeds) route as part of the network selected for further development.

“Notwithstanding, the eleven and a quarter mile section between Skipton and Colne failed to gain subsidy under Barbara Castle’s Transport Act of 1968, and was closed in 1970.

“On a more positive note, ARUP concludes that a station could be established at Earby, with Barnoldswick served by a new Parkway Station near Kelbrook.

“More than 430,000 people would be expected to use the new line annually and the benefits of the new route could be 6.5 times the total costs.

“Long distance, inter-regional services and freight could increase that figure still further.”

SELRAP's AGM will be held on Monday (March 10), at St Bartholomew’s Church, Albert Road, Colne, from 7pm. All welcome to attend.

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:18pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Steven Seagull says...

This is Great news, SELRAP are actually getting somewhere with this.

Now it's been looked at by professionals and deemed financially viable it has to be considered a serious option.
This is Great news, SELRAP are actually getting somewhere with this. Now it's been looked at by professionals and deemed financially viable it has to be considered a serious option. Steven Seagull
  • Score: 22

7:26pm Tue 4 Mar 14

coates warder says...

where are the facts. do they ask people in the street if they will ditch their car and pay sky high rail fares ?. no one has said how much it will cost from skipton to cole etc . no facts have been put on here so why are people getting excited about , maybe the thought . AND WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING TO COME FROM ?. it will cost 10s of millions we dont have.
where are the facts. do they ask people in the street if they will ditch their car and pay sky high rail fares ?. no one has said how much it will cost from skipton to cole etc . no facts have been put on here so why are people getting excited about , maybe the thought . AND WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING TO COME FROM ?. it will cost 10s of millions we dont have. coates warder
  • Score: -24

7:50pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Copperhead says...

What HMG want is NO public transport whatsoever so that everyone has to use a motor-car.
Then they can tax us even more than they do now - more road-tax, fuel-tax, purchase-tax , speeding fines, car-parking fees.
The bast*rds in government view the road-user as merely a cash-dispenser from which they can bleed money.
Money which goes to pay for public sector pensions, MP's pet-projects and benefits for immigrants.
I can't think of any other small and over-crowded country comparable to Britain which has such a laughable public transport system.
The run-down of the railways and the buses is no mere response to " progress " as the politicians would have you believe - it is a deliberate policy to get us all to use cars which attract huge amounts of taxation.
" I don't live in a community. I live in Britain and in Britain you're on your own. That's because it's not a country, it's just a system to raise revenue to pay for the public sector."
What HMG want is NO public transport whatsoever so that everyone has to use a motor-car. Then they can tax us even more than they do now - more road-tax, fuel-tax, purchase-tax , speeding fines, car-parking fees. The bast*rds in government view the road-user as merely a cash-dispenser from which they can bleed money. Money which goes to pay for public sector pensions, MP's pet-projects and benefits for immigrants. I can't think of any other small and over-crowded country comparable to Britain which has such a laughable public transport system. The run-down of the railways and the buses is no mere response to " progress " as the politicians would have you believe - it is a deliberate policy to get us all to use cars which attract huge amounts of taxation. " I don't live in a community. I live in Britain and in Britain you're on your own. That's because it's not a country, it's just a system to raise revenue to pay for the public sector." Copperhead
  • Score: -6

8:10pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Reality50 says...

It would only be viable if it had direct links to Bradford,Leeds and Lancaster/Morecambe. A once an hour NR shack to Skipton with no Sunday service would be a waste of time. Sunday links to the Dales in summer would be popular i suspect but Monday-Saturday a direct link from Burnley -Nelson-Colne-Skipto
n-Bradford would i suspect see thousands of Asians use it as many in Nelson and Colne have family links in Bradford.
It would only be viable if it had direct links to Bradford,Leeds and Lancaster/Morecambe. A once an hour NR shack to Skipton with no Sunday service would be a waste of time. Sunday links to the Dales in summer would be popular i suspect but Monday-Saturday a direct link from Burnley -Nelson-Colne-Skipto n-Bradford would i suspect see thousands of Asians use it as many in Nelson and Colne have family links in Bradford. Reality50
  • Score: 8

8:20pm Tue 4 Mar 14

happycyclist says...

50,000 passengers a WEEK between Skipton and Earby...? Get a grip. Was it f***.
50,000 passengers a WEEK between Skipton and Earby...? Get a grip. Was it f***. happycyclist
  • Score: -7

8:53pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Excluded again says...

I suspect it would make money because of two main markets - commuters from the Craven area into East Lancashire and the other way from East Lancs down into Bradford. And then in summer, an easy connection to the Settle-Carlisle line, one of the most popular tourist lines in the country.

In addition there are already direct trains to London from Skipton in the morning, so a link to this would be profitable.
I suspect it would make money because of two main markets - commuters from the Craven area into East Lancashire and the other way from East Lancs down into Bradford. And then in summer, an easy connection to the Settle-Carlisle line, one of the most popular tourist lines in the country. In addition there are already direct trains to London from Skipton in the morning, so a link to this would be profitable. Excluded again
  • Score: 14

9:35pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Steven Seagull says...

coates warder wrote:
where are the facts. do they ask people in the street if they will ditch their car and pay sky high rail fares ?. no one has said how much it will cost from skipton to cole etc . no facts have been put on here so why are people getting excited about , maybe the thought . AND WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING TO COME FROM ?. it will cost 10s of millions we dont have.
Why don't you go to the AGM on.the 10th March, they might be able to give you that information.
[quote][p][bold]coates warder[/bold] wrote: where are the facts. do they ask people in the street if they will ditch their car and pay sky high rail fares ?. no one has said how much it will cost from skipton to cole etc . no facts have been put on here so why are people getting excited about , maybe the thought . AND WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING TO COME FROM ?. it will cost 10s of millions we dont have.[/p][/quote]Why don't you go to the AGM on.the 10th March, they might be able to give you that information. Steven Seagull
  • Score: 12

9:38pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Steven Seagull says...

Reality50 wrote:
It would only be viable if it had direct links to Bradford,Leeds and Lancaster/Morecambe. A once an hour NR shack to Skipton with no Sunday service would be a waste of time. Sunday links to the Dales in summer would be popular i suspect but Monday-Saturday a direct link from Burnley -Nelson-Colne-Skipto

n-Bradford would i suspect see thousands of Asians use it as many in Nelson and Colne have family links in Bradford.
And what if they did?
[quote][p][bold]Reality50[/bold] wrote: It would only be viable if it had direct links to Bradford,Leeds and Lancaster/Morecambe. A once an hour NR shack to Skipton with no Sunday service would be a waste of time. Sunday links to the Dales in summer would be popular i suspect but Monday-Saturday a direct link from Burnley -Nelson-Colne-Skipto n-Bradford would i suspect see thousands of Asians use it as many in Nelson and Colne have family links in Bradford.[/p][/quote]And what if they did? Steven Seagull
  • Score: 2

10:54pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Noiticer says...

Whilst the reopening the line would be greatly beneficial I doubt there would be much freight as this already uses the Blackburn - Hellifield line which is part of Network Rail's Strategic Freight Network and Lacashire/Yorkshire freights already go via Copy Pit. However as a strategic passenger route it has great potential especially if electrified to Preston as NE Lancs needs a fast, and frequent spinal service to serve its half million population and promote an economic stimulus.
Whilst the reopening the line would be greatly beneficial I doubt there would be much freight as this already uses the Blackburn - Hellifield line which is part of Network Rail's Strategic Freight Network and Lacashire/Yorkshire freights already go via Copy Pit. However as a strategic passenger route it has great potential especially if electrified to Preston as NE Lancs needs a fast, and frequent spinal service to serve its half million population and promote an economic stimulus. Noiticer
  • Score: 5

10:58pm Tue 4 Mar 14

ToffeeGuy says...

It would only be viable if they doubled the track to Colne again from Burnley.

A more cost effective solution would be to convert it into a cycleway for leisure use.
It would only be viable if they doubled the track to Colne again from Burnley. A more cost effective solution would be to convert it into a cycleway for leisure use. ToffeeGuy
  • Score: -15

12:21am Wed 5 Mar 14

Darren1951 says...

If this DID happen, and I'm greatly in favour of it, I wonder how long after the necessary work was done it would be before any rolling stock was available to provide the new service? With the total abortion of a system ultimately by the Tories, probably at least an extra year, if we were lucky.
If this DID happen, and I'm greatly in favour of it, I wonder how long after the necessary work was done it would be before any rolling stock was available to provide the new service? With the total abortion of a system ultimately by the Tories, probably at least an extra year, if we were lucky. Darren1951
  • Score: 2

12:22am Wed 5 Mar 14

Darren1951 says...

Darren1951 wrote:
If this DID happen, and I'm greatly in favour of it, I wonder how long after the necessary work was done it would be before any rolling stock was available to provide the new service? With the total abortion of a system ultimately by the Tories, probably at least an extra year, if we were lucky.
Insert "created" before"ultimately"!
[quote][p][bold]Darren1951[/bold] wrote: If this DID happen, and I'm greatly in favour of it, I wonder how long after the necessary work was done it would be before any rolling stock was available to provide the new service? With the total abortion of a system ultimately by the Tories, probably at least an extra year, if we were lucky.[/p][/quote]Insert "created" before"ultimately"! Darren1951
  • Score: -1

1:39am Wed 5 Mar 14

Reality50 says...

Steven Seagull wrote:
Reality50 wrote:
It would only be viable if it had direct links to Bradford,Leeds and Lancaster/Morecambe. A once an hour NR shack to Skipton with no Sunday service would be a waste of time. Sunday links to the Dales in summer would be popular i suspect but Monday-Saturday a direct link from Burnley -Nelson-Colne-Skipto


n-Bradford would i suspect see thousands of Asians use it as many in Nelson and Colne have family links in Bradford.
And what if they did?
If it did then the trains would be busy and the economies of Bradford and Nelson/Colne benefit. If you are insinuating the comment had racial overtones you are wrong.
[quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Reality50[/bold] wrote: It would only be viable if it had direct links to Bradford,Leeds and Lancaster/Morecambe. A once an hour NR shack to Skipton with no Sunday service would be a waste of time. Sunday links to the Dales in summer would be popular i suspect but Monday-Saturday a direct link from Burnley -Nelson-Colne-Skipto n-Bradford would i suspect see thousands of Asians use it as many in Nelson and Colne have family links in Bradford.[/p][/quote]And what if they did?[/p][/quote]If it did then the trains would be busy and the economies of Bradford and Nelson/Colne benefit. If you are insinuating the comment had racial overtones you are wrong. Reality50
  • Score: 10

7:33am Wed 5 Mar 14

1riversider says...

This re-opening will never happen, because of the costs involved.

Why don't people look at the double track alternative already in existanse , and run trains via Hellifield , and then to Skipton etc? If necessary, a short curve could be built to avoid Hellifield altogether This would tap into, and expand the tourist traffic on the Settle Carlisle route also.

Much cheaper, and ready made alternative.
This re-opening will never happen, because of the costs involved. Why don't people look at the double track alternative already in existanse , and run trains via Hellifield , and then to Skipton etc? If necessary, a short curve could be built to avoid Hellifield altogether This would tap into, and expand the tourist traffic on the Settle Carlisle route also. Much cheaper, and ready made alternative. 1riversider
  • Score: 7

8:54am Wed 5 Mar 14

Darren1951 says...

1riversider wrote:
This re-opening will never happen, because of the costs involved.

Why don't people look at the double track alternative already in existanse , and run trains via Hellifield , and then to Skipton etc? If necessary, a short curve could be built to avoid Hellifield altogether This would tap into, and expand the tourist traffic on the Settle Carlisle route also.

Much cheaper, and ready made alternative.
Costs involved? When the Hindhead tunnel, on the A3 near Haslemere, Surrey,.was opened, 3-4 years ago, the quoted cost was somewhere in the region of £370 MILLION! But, of course, that was in the London commuter belt, wan't it? The Tories, and, equally, their Labour counterparts, aren't interested in improving life for us poor Northerners - you only need to look at what's happening with the Northern Rail and Transpennine trains on the Manchester routes.
[quote][p][bold]1riversider[/bold] wrote: This re-opening will never happen, because of the costs involved. Why don't people look at the double track alternative already in existanse , and run trains via Hellifield , and then to Skipton etc? If necessary, a short curve could be built to avoid Hellifield altogether This would tap into, and expand the tourist traffic on the Settle Carlisle route also. Much cheaper, and ready made alternative.[/p][/quote]Costs involved? When the Hindhead tunnel, on the A3 near Haslemere, Surrey,.was opened, 3-4 years ago, the quoted cost was somewhere in the region of £370 MILLION! But, of course, that was in the London commuter belt, wan't it? The Tories, and, equally, their Labour counterparts, aren't interested in improving life for us poor Northerners - you only need to look at what's happening with the Northern Rail and Transpennine trains on the Manchester routes. Darren1951
  • Score: 7

9:21am Wed 5 Mar 14

Steven Seagull says...

Reality50 wrote:
Steven Seagull wrote:
Reality50 wrote:
It would only be viable if it had direct links to Bradford,Leeds and Lancaster/Morecambe. A once an hour NR shack to Skipton with no Sunday service would be a waste of time. Sunday links to the Dales in summer would be popular i suspect but Monday-Saturday a direct link from Burnley -Nelson-Colne-Skipto



n-Bradford would i suspect see thousands of Asians use it as many in Nelson and Colne have family links in Bradford.
And what if they did?
If it did then the trains would be busy and the economies of Bradford and Nelson/Colne benefit. If you are insinuating the comment had racial overtones you are wrong.
Unlike the comment you posted on the 15 year old being assaulted in Accrington story.
[quote][p][bold]Reality50[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Reality50[/bold] wrote: It would only be viable if it had direct links to Bradford,Leeds and Lancaster/Morecambe. A once an hour NR shack to Skipton with no Sunday service would be a waste of time. Sunday links to the Dales in summer would be popular i suspect but Monday-Saturday a direct link from Burnley -Nelson-Colne-Skipto n-Bradford would i suspect see thousands of Asians use it as many in Nelson and Colne have family links in Bradford.[/p][/quote]And what if they did?[/p][/quote]If it did then the trains would be busy and the economies of Bradford and Nelson/Colne benefit. If you are insinuating the comment had racial overtones you are wrong.[/p][/quote]Unlike the comment you posted on the 15 year old being assaulted in Accrington story. Steven Seagull
  • Score: 1

9:57am Wed 5 Mar 14

Newradder says...

Northern Rail curreently recieve a subsidy of 40p per pasenger mile and if 50.000 people between earby - skipton are added to this then that would be an extra £140,000 per week just for this service, hardly cost effective.
Northern Rail curreently recieve a subsidy of 40p per pasenger mile and if 50.000 people between earby - skipton are added to this then that would be an extra £140,000 per week just for this service, hardly cost effective. Newradder
  • Score: 0

10:08am Wed 5 Mar 14

Darren1951 says...

Newradder wrote:
Northern Rail curreently recieve a subsidy of 40p per pasenger mile and if 50.000 people between earby - skipton are added to this then that would be an extra £140,000 per week just for this service, hardly cost effective.
Quite so, but if the railways were re-nationalised, public funding would still be needed, but the profits wouldn't be bled off to subsidize other countries' railways, as they are now.
[quote][p][bold]Newradder[/bold] wrote: Northern Rail curreently recieve a subsidy of 40p per pasenger mile and if 50.000 people between earby - skipton are added to this then that would be an extra £140,000 per week just for this service, hardly cost effective.[/p][/quote]Quite so, but if the railways were re-nationalised, public funding would still be needed, but the profits wouldn't be bled off to subsidize other countries' railways, as they are now. Darren1951
  • Score: 0

11:27am Thu 6 Mar 14

Real Ale Up North says...

Great news for the area. Bring it on ! Ale Trail :-)
Great news for the area. Bring it on ! Ale Trail :-) Real Ale Up North
  • Score: 8

1:23pm Thu 6 Mar 14

Philip A Berry says...

I'm with you RAUN.

We will start in the narrowboat.
I'm with you RAUN. We will start in the narrowboat. Philip A Berry
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree