Minute’s silence cut from Nelson agenda following anonymous objections (From Burnley and Pendle Citizen)
When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Minute’s silence cut from Nelson agenda following anonymous objections
A NELSON town councillor said she was ‘amazed’ after a planned minute’s silence for Nelson Mandela failed to go ahead.
The silent tribute had supposed to take place at the latest Nelson Town Council meeting, but Coun Yvonne Tennant said it was ‘pulled’ from the agenda after ‘a couple of councillors raised objections’.
Coun Tennant said the councillors had remained anonymous after taking up the issue with town council officials before the meeting.
She said: “I was amazed and saddened that we wouldn't be observing a respectful silence for President Mandela.
“When we got to the meeting we went straight into the council business without the minute’s silence, and were told that objections had been raised about it.
“The flags at Downing Street are being flown at half mast and the Prime Minister has travelled with other world leaders to attend a memorial service for this universally admired man, yet a couple councillors here didn't have the grace or generosity of spirit to observe a simple minute’s silence.
“Just over a month ago, our nation observed a silence on Remembrance Day in honour of those who gave their lives so that we could have the right to free speech in this country, but I've not been allowed the right to silence at a meeting at which I’m a councillor.
“Perhaps the strangest part of this sorry episode is the fact that those who vetoed our request have chosen to remain anonymous.
“If they object so strongly to such a simple and harmless request, why don’t they have the courage to explain why to the rest of us?”
The chairman and the clerk of Nelson Town Council were yesterday unavailable for comment.
Mr Mandela was laid to rest on Sunday, 10 days after his death aged 95.
Comments are closed on this article.