When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Burnley woman trapped in broken down wheelchair
9:22am Friday 4th January 2013 in Burnley
A WOMAN was rescued by firefighters after becoming trapped behind her own front door when her electric wheelchair lost power.
The alert was raised by the woman when she realised she had no way of leaving her home in Wordsworth Street, Hapton, after the battery on her wheelchair failed on Wednesday.
Crew manager Matthew Hamer, who attended with a team from Burnley Fire station, said: “We got called at around 10pm to a lady wheelchair user, who became trapped behind her front door when her battery went flat.
“She was not aware the battery was going to go and had no other way of getting out.
“We had to break a window to gain entry as she only had one door and that was the one she was trapped behind.
“It was unfortunate for her, but she was able to contact her carer, who then contacted us.”