Diners flee as Burnley Indian restaurant sign bursts into flames

Diners flee as Burnley Indian restaurant sign bursts into flames

Diners flee as Burnley Indian restaurant sign bursts into flames

First published in News
Last updated
by , Reporter

MORE than 50 customers and 12 staff had to be evacuated from a popular Indian restaurant in Burnley after the neon sign on the front of the building went up in flames.

MORE TOP STORIES:

The owner of Usha, in Rossendale Road, described his shock after seeing the blaze at his business from his bedroom window.

Ibby Ali said he had the £13,000 sign fitted when he took over the building 12 years ago and has it safety checked every year, but the strong wind and rain on Sunday night got into a new fuse box, short-circuited it and started the blaze.

He said: “Nobody noticed it until the front of house manager walked by the conservatory and saw the flickering from the flames. He was really shocked.

“At the same time, my youngest daughter called to me from my bedroom window and said ‘Daddy, your restaurant’s on fire,’ after she saw it across the field.

“It was a real panic. I thought I was watching my dreams go up in smoke. I ran down there and we wanted to try and put it out but it was so high up there was no way we could reach.

“Only the ‘A’ of the ‘Usha’ is there now. I was sad to see it go because of sentimental reasons. It was the restaurant’s first sign. Fortunately there was no damage to the building, though we still need to check a bit of the roof that’s over it.

“The fire service only took eight minutes to get here, so I’d like to say a big thanks to them. There’s no way we’d be serving today if it wasn’t for them.

”Everybody was evacuated at around 9.45pm and it took until about 10.30pm until the fire was out, and we usually close at 11pm.

“The insurance should cover us and we’ll buy a new sign.

“I’m really glad nobody was hurt and the damage to the building wasn’t worse.”

Acting crew manager Simon Wright, from Burnley Fire Station, said: “The side of the restaurant was well alight.

“Crews isolated the electric before using a hose reel jet and triple extension ladder to gain access and extinguish the fire.

“Thermal image cameras were used to check the area for hot spots before crews left the scene. Both appliances were there for 30 minutes.”

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:16pm Tue 12 Aug 14

mark anthony says...

Wooooooo. That was hot!!!!!!
Wooooooo. That was hot!!!!!! mark anthony
  • Score: 6

1:57pm Tue 12 Aug 14

glossopkid says...

mark anthony wrote:
Wooooooo. That was hot!!!!!!
Lol!
[quote][p][bold]mark anthony[/bold] wrote: Wooooooo. That was hot!!!!!![/p][/quote]Lol! glossopkid
  • Score: 5

2:07pm Tue 12 Aug 14

POW WOW says...

Makes you wonder where the electrician came from !!!!!!!!!!
Makes you wonder where the electrician came from !!!!!!!!!! POW WOW
  • Score: 1

6:33pm Tue 12 Aug 14

Markus Spartacus says...

Did someone dhall naan naan naan?
Did someone dhall naan naan naan? Markus Spartacus
  • Score: 30

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree