East Lancs firms hit by roadworks

Andrew Stephenson MP

Andrew Stephenson MP

First published in News by , Reporter

BUSINESSES are being affected by traffic build-ups caused by roadworks on the M65 motorway, Pendle’s MP said.

Andrew Stephenson MP said companies and traders that rely on customers travelling across East Lancashire to visit them, such as the warehouses on Lomeshaye Industrial Estate, have lost large amounts of trade within days of the work starting.

Works to strengthen the safety barriers on the hard shoulder and bridge parapet walls are being carried out by Lancashire County Council to stop vehicles travelling through them during an accident.

The work began on July 21 and is expected to last six months.

Mr Stephenson said in a bid to try to avoid getting caught in build-ups on the motorway, drivers are trying to use alternative routes through Reedley and Brierfield instead, to the detriment to local traders.

He said: “I have raised this issue with Lancashire County Council to ask how they are going to ensure the roadworks do not negatively impact our local economy and jobs.

“A number of companies that rely on white van drivers, brickies, builders and plumbers from across East Lancashire and beyond for trade have been badly hit.

“They aren’t happy that they weren’t consulted at all about the works, saying they had no warning at all.

“The county council were apologetic when I spoke to them, but said because it is a major road they consulted with the police.

“They said they avoided carrying out work on other major routes around the area that can be used as alternatives, such as the main road through Brierfield and the Padiham bypass.”

However, Brierfield Coun Nawaz Ahmed said residents in his ward had suffered tailbacks due to traffic volume during rush hour.

And Nelson Coun Mohammed Iqbal said he had spoken to three shops in Market Street that had been doing well but said it could have been because of Eid shoppers.

Oliver Starkey, Lancashire County Council highways manager for east Lancashire, said: “The current work on the M65 is vital to ensure the barriers meet the required standard to reduce the risk of vehicles going through them in an accident.

“We’ve focused on giving advance notice to encourage drivers to plan their journeys around the work, and expect delays.

Traffic speed through the works must be reduced for safety, which will inevitably result in some congestion and we’re doing all we reasonably can to minimise this.”

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:32pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Colne says...

If drivers did not insist on travelling "full pelt" in the outside lane and then pulling in at the last possible moment the queues would be shorter. Today a white van man can down the lomeshaye slip road on to the M65 and forced his way in and then speed into the outside lane to force his way in 2 minutes later! There are some plonkers on the roads
If drivers did not insist on travelling "full pelt" in the outside lane and then pulling in at the last possible moment the queues would be shorter. Today a white van man can down the lomeshaye slip road on to the M65 and forced his way in and then speed into the outside lane to force his way in 2 minutes later! There are some plonkers on the roads Colne
  • Score: 1

8:40am Fri 1 Aug 14

Pendlebill says...

It's now 11 days since the cones went up & still no sign of any work being carried out.
It's now 11 days since the cones went up & still no sign of any work being carried out. Pendlebill
  • Score: 0

9:13am Sat 2 Aug 14

wet n windy says...

Exactly, 6 months on a major road to do a small amount of work is absolutely ridiculous. If you are reading this Mr Stephenson this is where they can make a difference for little or no cost. Get the work done quicker ! All I've seen so far are 4 men and a van, we need all teams on site working shifts to finish this quickly. This situation has already put me off shopping in Burnley and I bet I'm not the only one. I don't know how the hell these approaches of multi months of misery are ever approved.
Exactly, 6 months on a major road to do a small amount of work is absolutely ridiculous. If you are reading this Mr Stephenson this is where they can make a difference for little or no cost. Get the work done quicker ! All I've seen so far are 4 men and a van, we need all teams on site working shifts to finish this quickly. This situation has already put me off shopping in Burnley and I bet I'm not the only one. I don't know how the hell these approaches of multi months of misery are ever approved. wet n windy
  • Score: 0

3:12pm Sat 2 Aug 14

wet n windy says...

..and today the roadworks have moved up past the first burnley exit. So it seems 2 days to erect coning, 3 days to settle in, 2 days work and move on. no wonder it takes 6 months. why is no one ever accountable for this type of shambles !
..and today the roadworks have moved up past the first burnley exit. So it seems 2 days to erect coning, 3 days to settle in, 2 days work and move on. no wonder it takes 6 months. why is no one ever accountable for this type of shambles ! wet n windy
  • Score: 0

5:49pm Sat 2 Aug 14

elfnsafety says...

Couldn't agree more with previous comments on the need to speed up these works. It's appallingly complacent of LCC Highways to schedule this over a 6 month period, with absolutely no regard to the inconvenience caused to drivers.
More to the point, given Mr Starkey's comment that this is a vital upgrade to the central barriers, just how many vehicles have gone through the existing barriers? If this stretch of the M65 really does need a barrier upgrade, what about the remaining, much longer length managed by the Highways Agency? You know the answer and it's b******ks.
Couldn't agree more with previous comments on the need to speed up these works. It's appallingly complacent of LCC Highways to schedule this over a 6 month period, with absolutely no regard to the inconvenience caused to drivers. More to the point, given Mr Starkey's comment that this is a vital upgrade to the central barriers, just how many vehicles have gone through the existing barriers? If this stretch of the M65 really does need a barrier upgrade, what about the remaining, much longer length managed by the Highways Agency? You know the answer and it's b******ks. elfnsafety
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree