Lancashire paramedic service to be cut despite protests

Burnley and Pendle Citizen: Lancashire paramedic service to be cut despite protests Lancashire paramedic service to be cut despite protests

BOSSES at North West Ambulance Service are still proposing to slash weekend paramedic cover in Blackburn, Burnley and Nelson — despite some planned cuts being put on hold in Cumbria.

Last month the Lancashire Telegraph revealed the controversy surrounding the trust’s Cost Improvement Plan, which has prompted union workers to threaten strike action, citing ‘cuts to front line care’.

Under the plans, the Blackburn ambulance station would lose 7.5 hours of rapid response vehicle cover on both Saturdays and Sundays, while Nelson would lose 11.5 hours on Friday and Saturday nights.

The cover would be ‘realigned’ to Accrington, where demand has been greater, although this would be in the form of an extra urgent care vehicle, to be manned by less-qualified staff.

An intermediate care vehicle in Burnley would also be axed in favour of an urgent care vehicle.

Earlier this week NWAS agreed to pause plans to cut 999 cover in Carlisle and Penrith, after 10,000 people signed a petition opposing the proposal.

The East Lancashire cuts are still planned to go ahead, but have not been confirmed.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:24am Fri 20 Jun 14

Bankser says...

So that's ok then, folk will just have to stop getting ill and having accidents...........
...pfft!
So that's ok then, folk will just have to stop getting ill and having accidents........... ...pfft! Bankser
  • Score: 14

11:34am Fri 20 Jun 14

GracesDad says...

Which genius comes up with the idea of reducing services at peak times?
Which genius comes up with the idea of reducing services at peak times? GracesDad
  • Score: 18

11:59am Fri 20 Jun 14

HarryBosch says...

Sooner we get this government out the better. It's all about money, and lives don't matter. They seem to forget that they represent the people and that the people want a service that is fit for purpose.
Sooner we get this government out the better. It's all about money, and lives don't matter. They seem to forget that they represent the people and that the people want a service that is fit for purpose. HarryBosch
  • Score: 14

12:58pm Fri 20 Jun 14

mayor07 says...

HarryBosch, the problem is that current NHS is not fit for purpose. It's totally unsustainable in it's current form. This post will probably prove unpopular, but it's the reality I'm afraid and people need to get used to it. The NHS must find ways of reducing the overreliance on and misuse of both ambulances and hospitals, and restricting those services to the people who absolutely need them. A significant proportion of people who currently end up at A&E could be treated elsewhere - that's a indisputable fact. The country cannot afford to continue pouring more and more money into the NHS like it's a bottomless pit but, instead, long term reform is essential.
HarryBosch, the problem is that current NHS is not fit for purpose. It's totally unsustainable in it's current form. This post will probably prove unpopular, but it's the reality I'm afraid and people need to get used to it. The NHS must find ways of reducing the overreliance on and misuse of both ambulances and hospitals, and restricting those services to the people who absolutely need them. A significant proportion of people who currently end up at A&E could be treated elsewhere - that's a indisputable fact. The country cannot afford to continue pouring more and more money into the NHS like it's a bottomless pit but, instead, long term reform is essential. mayor07
  • Score: 1

1:02pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Rich Riley says...

mayor07 wrote:
HarryBosch, the problem is that current NHS is not fit for purpose. It's totally unsustainable in it's current form. This post will probably prove unpopular, but it's the reality I'm afraid and people need to get used to it. The NHS must find ways of reducing the overreliance on and misuse of both ambulances and hospitals, and restricting those services to the people who absolutely need them. A significant proportion of people who currently end up at A&E could be treated elsewhere - that's a indisputable fact. The country cannot afford to continue pouring more and more money into the NHS like it's a bottomless pit but, instead, long term reform is essential.
Well said but don't expect everyone to get it!!
[quote][p][bold]mayor07[/bold] wrote: HarryBosch, the problem is that current NHS is not fit for purpose. It's totally unsustainable in it's current form. This post will probably prove unpopular, but it's the reality I'm afraid and people need to get used to it. The NHS must find ways of reducing the overreliance on and misuse of both ambulances and hospitals, and restricting those services to the people who absolutely need them. A significant proportion of people who currently end up at A&E could be treated elsewhere - that's a indisputable fact. The country cannot afford to continue pouring more and more money into the NHS like it's a bottomless pit but, instead, long term reform is essential.[/p][/quote]Well said but don't expect everyone to get it!! Rich Riley
  • Score: 1

1:07pm Fri 20 Jun 14

kapalski says...

mayor07 wrote:
HarryBosch, the problem is that current NHS is not fit for purpose. It's totally unsustainable in it's current form. This post will probably prove unpopular, but it's the reality I'm afraid and people need to get used to it. The NHS must find ways of reducing the overreliance on and misuse of both ambulances and hospitals, and restricting those services to the people who absolutely need them. A significant proportion of people who currently end up at A&E could be treated elsewhere - that's a indisputable fact. The country cannot afford to continue pouring more and more money into the NHS like it's a bottomless pit but, instead, long term reform is essential.
lets just wait til YOU need urgent care at a weekend then we will see what tune your singing!!!

An urgent clear out of ALL the non essentail office staff, Jim Birrell is certainanly not worth the wage hes being paid, neither is Schram and see how much money is saved!!!
[quote][p][bold]mayor07[/bold] wrote: HarryBosch, the problem is that current NHS is not fit for purpose. It's totally unsustainable in it's current form. This post will probably prove unpopular, but it's the reality I'm afraid and people need to get used to it. The NHS must find ways of reducing the overreliance on and misuse of both ambulances and hospitals, and restricting those services to the people who absolutely need them. A significant proportion of people who currently end up at A&E could be treated elsewhere - that's a indisputable fact. The country cannot afford to continue pouring more and more money into the NHS like it's a bottomless pit but, instead, long term reform is essential.[/p][/quote]lets just wait til YOU need urgent care at a weekend then we will see what tune your singing!!! An urgent clear out of ALL the non essentail office staff, Jim Birrell is certainanly not worth the wage hes being paid, neither is Schram and see how much money is saved!!! kapalski
  • Score: 5

1:23pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Excluded again says...

mayor07 wrote:
HarryBosch, the problem is that current NHS is not fit for purpose. It's totally unsustainable in it's current form. This post will probably prove unpopular, but it's the reality I'm afraid and people need to get used to it. The NHS must find ways of reducing the overreliance on and misuse of both ambulances and hospitals, and restricting those services to the people who absolutely need them. A significant proportion of people who currently end up at A&E could be treated elsewhere - that's a indisputable fact. The country cannot afford to continue pouring more and more money into the NHS like it's a bottomless pit but, instead, long term reform is essential.
In a study published this week by the Commonwealth Fund, the NHS was found to be the best performing healthcare system in the western world.

And the UK does not spend more on healthcare than other countries. In fact we spend about average and get he best system there currently is in return.

The country which spends most on healthcare is the USA which the study found the USA had the worst performing healthcare system in the western world.

A lot of the current problems in the NHS stem directly from government reforms trying to change the best performing system to be more like the worst performing system and wasting billions of pounds in doing so.
[quote][p][bold]mayor07[/bold] wrote: HarryBosch, the problem is that current NHS is not fit for purpose. It's totally unsustainable in it's current form. This post will probably prove unpopular, but it's the reality I'm afraid and people need to get used to it. The NHS must find ways of reducing the overreliance on and misuse of both ambulances and hospitals, and restricting those services to the people who absolutely need them. A significant proportion of people who currently end up at A&E could be treated elsewhere - that's a indisputable fact. The country cannot afford to continue pouring more and more money into the NHS like it's a bottomless pit but, instead, long term reform is essential.[/p][/quote]In a study published this week by the Commonwealth Fund, the NHS was found to be the best performing healthcare system in the western world. And the UK does not spend more on healthcare than other countries. In fact we spend about average and get he best system there currently is in return. The country which spends most on healthcare is the USA which the study found the USA had the worst performing healthcare system in the western world. A lot of the current problems in the NHS stem directly from government reforms trying to change the best performing system to be more like the worst performing system and wasting billions of pounds in doing so. Excluded again
  • Score: 16

12:40pm Tue 24 Jun 14

Lord Helpus says...

mayor07 wrote:
HarryBosch, the problem is that current NHS is not fit for purpose. It's totally unsustainable in it's current form. This post will probably prove unpopular, but it's the reality I'm afraid and people need to get used to it. The NHS must find ways of reducing the overreliance on and misuse of both ambulances and hospitals, and restricting those services to the people who absolutely need them. A significant proportion of people who currently end up at A&E could be treated elsewhere - that's a indisputable fact. The country cannot afford to continue pouring more and more money into the NHS like it's a bottomless pit but, instead, long term reform is essential.
Is this not a question of priorities.....profi
ts for the friends of the Tories via privatisation or an efficiently run Ambulance service, not weighed down by managers towing political doctrine and form filling, keeping the good folk of the northwest safe by keeping frontline staff and vehicles able to respond to need.
Might I suggest that you talk and listen to the people at the coal face before you respond with a generalisation about the NHS not being fit for purpose and the unsustainability of a service that is held in high regard throughout the world and is proven to be pound for pound amongst the most cost effective of health care institutions in the world today.
"The NHS must find ways of reducing the overreliance on and misuse of both ambulances and hospitals, and restricting those services to the people who absolutely need them." ... I cannot argue with your statement BUT I would not suggest that cutting frontline services could solve the problem but merely serve to burnout the fewer crews coping with the same volumes of workload without necessary resource.
"A significant proportion of people who currently end up at A&E could be treated elsewhere - that's a indisputable fact."....that also is true BUT who do you think is called on to take them there....guess what?...it's Ambulances.... they attend patients, triage them and take or direct them to Urgent care centres, Cardiac centres, mental health facilities etc.
Might I suggest that your argument requires more research, as would benefit this government and in particular, The Department for Health.
[quote][p][bold]mayor07[/bold] wrote: HarryBosch, the problem is that current NHS is not fit for purpose. It's totally unsustainable in it's current form. This post will probably prove unpopular, but it's the reality I'm afraid and people need to get used to it. The NHS must find ways of reducing the overreliance on and misuse of both ambulances and hospitals, and restricting those services to the people who absolutely need them. A significant proportion of people who currently end up at A&E could be treated elsewhere - that's a indisputable fact. The country cannot afford to continue pouring more and more money into the NHS like it's a bottomless pit but, instead, long term reform is essential.[/p][/quote]Is this not a question of priorities.....profi ts for the friends of the Tories via privatisation or an efficiently run Ambulance service, not weighed down by managers towing political doctrine and form filling, keeping the good folk of the northwest safe by keeping frontline staff and vehicles able to respond to need. Might I suggest that you talk and listen to the people at the coal face before you respond with a generalisation about the NHS not being fit for purpose and the unsustainability of a service that is held in high regard throughout the world and is proven to be pound for pound amongst the most cost effective of health care institutions in the world today. "The NHS must find ways of reducing the overreliance on and misuse of both ambulances and hospitals, and restricting those services to the people who absolutely need them." ... I cannot argue with your statement BUT I would not suggest that cutting frontline services could solve the problem but merely serve to burnout the fewer crews coping with the same volumes of workload without necessary resource. "A significant proportion of people who currently end up at A&E could be treated elsewhere - that's a indisputable fact."....that also is true BUT who do you think is called on to take them there....guess what?...it's Ambulances.... they attend patients, triage them and take or direct them to Urgent care centres, Cardiac centres, mental health facilities etc. Might I suggest that your argument requires more research, as would benefit this government and in particular, The Department for Health. Lord Helpus
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree