Burnley man rescued from flat after sleeping through his smoke alarm

A BURNLEY man was rescued by firefighters after failing to wake up when his smoke alarm sounded.

Neighbours heard the alarm going off at the first-floor flat in Birkbeck Way, Daneshouse, at about 9pm and alerted fire crews, who broke into the property as fire and smoke spread from the kitchen.

The noise made by the firefighters finally woke the occupant, a 47-year-old man, who was then led to safety.

Crew manager Keith Ogden said: “There had been some food left on the grill which caused the fire and the occupant had fallen asleep in the living room and didn’t hear the alarm.

“Thankfully the alarm has saved him because the neighbours heard it and called us.

He said the man was suffering from smoke inhalation but refused treatment by paramedics.

Fire crews used two sets of breathing apparatus, one hose reel and a thermal imaging camera, and the blaze left light smoke damage to the flat.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree