BRING DOREEN HOME: Poorly East Lancashire grandmother third of way to target

Doreen Blackburn

Doreen Blackburn

First published in News Burnley and Pendle Citizen: Photograph of the Author by

A FAMILY trying to bring an East Lancashire woman home from hospital in Portugal are one-third of the way there.

Relatives of Doreen Blackburn, who launched a fundraising appeal in the Lancashire Telegraph last Thursday to fly the 78-year-old back to Burnley, have already received donations totalling £3,500.

The retired nurse suffered two strokes in Albufeira before Christmas and needs a specialist air ambulance trip costing £12,000 to return to her family.

Mrs Blackburn, who used to work at Burnley Victoria Hospital and Rolls Royce, in Barnoldswick, moved abroad in 1998 with her husband Maurice, 78.

A battle with lung cancer six years ago left Mrs Blackburn unable to afford health insurance, and her daughter Sharon Borrowdale, praised the community in Burnley and Pendle for rallying round the family.

Mrs Borrowdale said: “The Get Doreen Home fundraising is going brilliantly. We have so far been pledged £2,613 on the JustGiving website and have also received cheques for Capital Air Ambulance to the value of £1,150.

“We cannot quite believe how wonderful and generous people are being and would like to give our heartfelt thanks to everyone who has donated so far.”

Mrs Blackburn, who used to run the Moorgate Arms and King’s Head pubs in Blackburn, has been recovering in the Red Cross rehabilitation centre in Tavira since December.

Mrs Borrowdale, of Grassington Avenue, Briercliffe, said her father, who remains in Portugal, had also been in touch to thank those raising money.

The family’s next fundraiser is on Sunday from 1pm to 5pm at Joseph Lanzante Training Academy, in Walmesley Court, Clayton-le-Moors.

It will feature sponsored head shaves, nose and body waxing, hand massages, cut throat shaves, raffles, a tombola and children’s face painting.

The Morris Dancers pub in Byron Road, Colne, has also announced two days of fundraising, with a coffee morning and leg waxing on March 7, and a disco and raffles on March 8.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:38pm Fri 28 Feb 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

Oh so you move to Portugal to escape paying tax! What's up skint now are we and you want to come back here to sponge off the free health service.
You have 2 hopes of getting a donation from me, and one of them is Bob.
Oh so you move to Portugal to escape paying tax! What's up skint now are we and you want to come back here to sponge off the free health service. You have 2 hopes of getting a donation from me, and one of them is Bob. 2 for 5p ridesagain
  • Score: -3

3:27pm Fri 28 Feb 14

the white witch says...

If this lady wants to come home to England then it should be down to her own family to foot the bill, not the public with asking for donations, after all they chose to move to Portugal, the public never forced her to and she should of thought about the hospital care & treatment payments before emigrating.
If this lady wants to come home to England then it should be down to her own family to foot the bill, not the public with asking for donations, after all they chose to move to Portugal, the public never forced her to and she should of thought about the hospital care & treatment payments before emigrating. the white witch
  • Score: -4

3:28pm Fri 28 Feb 14

Casper's mum says...

Or perhaps she wants to take advantage of an NHS she helped to fund with the tax/NI she paid whilst she was working for all those years before she decided to retire abroad.
Or perhaps she wants to take advantage of an NHS she helped to fund with the tax/NI she paid whilst she was working for all those years before she decided to retire abroad. Casper's mum
  • Score: 2

3:37pm Fri 28 Feb 14

emmanaz says...

Why are people so quick to be so negative do you have nothing better to do !! What on earth is wrong with a family who can't click their fingers and have £12000 to hand asking for help ! Those who want to help will do and those that don't wont !! Simple !!
Why are people so quick to be so negative do you have nothing better to do !! What on earth is wrong with a family who can't click their fingers and have £12000 to hand asking for help ! Those who want to help will do and those that don't wont !! Simple !! emmanaz
  • Score: 4

3:57pm Fri 28 Feb 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

Casper's mum wrote:
Or perhaps she wants to take advantage of an NHS she helped to fund with the tax/NI she paid whilst she was working for all those years before she decided to retire abroad.
Would that be the same NHS She paid nothing towards wilst living in Potugal
[quote][p][bold]Casper's mum[/bold] wrote: Or perhaps she wants to take advantage of an NHS she helped to fund with the tax/NI she paid whilst she was working for all those years before she decided to retire abroad.[/p][/quote]Would that be the same NHS She paid nothing towards wilst living in Potugal 2 for 5p ridesagain
  • Score: -4

4:03pm Fri 28 Feb 14

emmanaz says...

2 for 5p ridesagain wrote:
Casper's mum wrote:
Or perhaps she wants to take advantage of an NHS she helped to fund with the tax/NI she paid whilst she was working for all those years before she decided to retire abroad.
Would that be the same NHS She paid nothing towards wilst living in Potugal
ONE WORD - RETIRED !!!!
[quote][p][bold]2 for 5p ridesagain[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Casper's mum[/bold] wrote: Or perhaps she wants to take advantage of an NHS she helped to fund with the tax/NI she paid whilst she was working for all those years before she decided to retire abroad.[/p][/quote]Would that be the same NHS She paid nothing towards wilst living in Potugal[/p][/quote]ONE WORD - RETIRED !!!! emmanaz
  • Score: 4

6:11pm Fri 28 Feb 14

the white witch says...

Read this quote ( Adorable eight-year-old Aaron Dearden, from Ramsbottom, suffered a fatal asthma attack last April. ) this little boy died.
It is this type of thing that people should donate to, altho this little boy was not lucky enough to reap the benefits to save his life, it`s not to late to try and help others, now this is what i call a very worthy cause, NOT to donate towards a helicopter ride for someone that chose to emigrate.
Read this quote ( Adorable eight-year-old Aaron Dearden, from Ramsbottom, suffered a fatal asthma attack last April. ) this little boy died. It is this type of thing that people should donate to, altho this little boy was not lucky enough to reap the benefits to save his life, it`s not to late to try and help others, now this is what i call a very worthy cause, NOT to donate towards a helicopter ride for someone that chose to emigrate. the white witch
  • Score: 0

9:10pm Fri 28 Feb 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

emmanaz wrote:
2 for 5p ridesagain wrote:
Casper's mum wrote:
Or perhaps she wants to take advantage of an NHS she helped to fund with the tax/NI she paid whilst she was working for all those years before she decided to retire abroad.
Would that be the same NHS She paid nothing towards wilst living in Potugal
ONE WORD - RETIRED !!!!
ONE WORD IRRESPONSIBLE SPONGER
[quote][p][bold]emmanaz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]2 for 5p ridesagain[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Casper's mum[/bold] wrote: Or perhaps she wants to take advantage of an NHS she helped to fund with the tax/NI she paid whilst she was working for all those years before she decided to retire abroad.[/p][/quote]Would that be the same NHS She paid nothing towards wilst living in Potugal[/p][/quote]ONE WORD - RETIRED !!!![/p][/quote]ONE WORD IRRESPONSIBLE SPONGER 2 for 5p ridesagain
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree