Bid to ban smoking in cars welcomed by Lancashire County Council

Burnley and Pendle Citizen: Bid to ban smoking in cars is welcomed by Lancashire County Council Bid to ban smoking in cars is welcomed by Lancashire County Council

PLANS to ban smoking in cars carrying children have been welcomed by the county council.

MPs voted in favour by almost two thirds to one to amend the Children and Families Bill, which could lead to a ban.

Health experts at Lancashire County Council said it would encourage residents across the county to give up smoking in homes as well as vehicles.

Cabinet member for health and wellbeing, Coun Azhar Ali, said: “The vote is a huge step forward in the battle against second-hand smoke. Treating illnesses caused by second-hand smoke in Lancashire costs the taxpayer £15.67m a year.

“The smoke is much more concentrated in cars and research has shown that opening the window to let out the fumes makes little difference.

“Children are especially at risk because they have smaller blood vessels and their organs are still developing. They breathe faster and inhale more toxic chemicals than adults.”

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:08pm Wed 12 Feb 14

Stone Island: says...

No sensible person would smoke in a car that had children in it. In fact no sensible person would smoke, full stop.
No sensible person would smoke in a car that had children in it. In fact no sensible person would smoke, full stop. Stone Island:
  • Score: -1

11:15pm Wed 12 Feb 14

maxcollie says...

How can it be enforced? they can't catch people on mobiles whilst driving
How can it be enforced? they can't catch people on mobiles whilst driving maxcollie
  • Score: 11

7:29am Thu 13 Feb 14

AnthonyUK says...

maxcollie wrote:
How can it be enforced? they can't catch people on mobiles whilst driving
Very true.
[quote][p][bold]maxcollie[/bold] wrote: How can it be enforced? they can't catch people on mobiles whilst driving[/p][/quote]Very true. AnthonyUK
  • Score: 4

8:35am Thu 13 Feb 14

shytalk says...

Hopefully the next step will be to ban smoking in all public places
Hopefully the next step will be to ban smoking in all public places shytalk
  • Score: -6

8:59am Thu 13 Feb 14

AnthonyUK says...

shytalk wrote:
Hopefully the next step will be to ban smoking in all public places
I hope it never gets to that!
[quote][p][bold]shytalk[/bold] wrote: Hopefully the next step will be to ban smoking in all public places[/p][/quote]I hope it never gets to that! AnthonyUK
  • Score: 0

9:46am Thu 13 Feb 14

GracesDad says...

shytalk wrote:
Hopefully the next step will be to ban smoking in all public places
Wake up....that happened years ago!! Unless you want smoking banned outdoors as well. In which case....do you drive a car?
[quote][p][bold]shytalk[/bold] wrote: Hopefully the next step will be to ban smoking in all public places[/p][/quote]Wake up....that happened years ago!! Unless you want smoking banned outdoors as well. In which case....do you drive a car? GracesDad
  • Score: 1

10:39am Thu 13 Feb 14

shytalk says...

GracesDad wrote:
shytalk wrote:
Hopefully the next step will be to ban smoking in all public places
Wake up....that happened years ago!! Unless you want smoking banned outdoors as well. In which case....do you drive a car?
I drive a car, and for those of us who don't smoke when you walk past someone smoking it is like having a fresh dog turd pushed under your nose.
Those people who do not smoke would agree with that.
[quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]shytalk[/bold] wrote: Hopefully the next step will be to ban smoking in all public places[/p][/quote]Wake up....that happened years ago!! Unless you want smoking banned outdoors as well. In which case....do you drive a car?[/p][/quote]I drive a car, and for those of us who don't smoke when you walk past someone smoking it is like having a fresh dog turd pushed under your nose. Those people who do not smoke would agree with that. shytalk
  • Score: -3

10:59am Thu 13 Feb 14

GracesDad says...

shytalk wrote:
GracesDad wrote:
shytalk wrote:
Hopefully the next step will be to ban smoking in all public places
Wake up....that happened years ago!! Unless you want smoking banned outdoors as well. In which case....do you drive a car?
I drive a car, and for those of us who don't smoke when you walk past someone smoking it is like having a fresh dog turd pushed under your nose.
Those people who do not smoke would agree with that.
So you think smoking should be totally banned in outdoor space yet you drive a car? You sir, are a buffoon!
[quote][p][bold]shytalk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]shytalk[/bold] wrote: Hopefully the next step will be to ban smoking in all public places[/p][/quote]Wake up....that happened years ago!! Unless you want smoking banned outdoors as well. In which case....do you drive a car?[/p][/quote]I drive a car, and for those of us who don't smoke when you walk past someone smoking it is like having a fresh dog turd pushed under your nose. Those people who do not smoke would agree with that.[/p][/quote]So you think smoking should be totally banned in outdoor space yet you drive a car? You sir, are a buffoon! GracesDad
  • Score: 2

11:16am Thu 13 Feb 14

shytalk says...

GracesDad wrote:
shytalk wrote:
GracesDad wrote:
shytalk wrote:
Hopefully the next step will be to ban smoking in all public places
Wake up....that happened years ago!! Unless you want smoking banned outdoors as well. In which case....do you drive a car?
I drive a car, and for those of us who don't smoke when you walk past someone smoking it is like having a fresh dog turd pushed under your nose.
Those people who do not smoke would agree with that.
So you think smoking should be totally banned in outdoor space yet you drive a car? You sir, are a buffoon!
And you sir are more likely than not to become a cancer stricken pig. Ward C9 at Blackburn infirmary awaits you. Enjoy your slow painful death.
[quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]shytalk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]shytalk[/bold] wrote: Hopefully the next step will be to ban smoking in all public places[/p][/quote]Wake up....that happened years ago!! Unless you want smoking banned outdoors as well. In which case....do you drive a car?[/p][/quote]I drive a car, and for those of us who don't smoke when you walk past someone smoking it is like having a fresh dog turd pushed under your nose. Those people who do not smoke would agree with that.[/p][/quote]So you think smoking should be totally banned in outdoor space yet you drive a car? You sir, are a buffoon![/p][/quote]And you sir are more likely than not to become a cancer stricken pig. Ward C9 at Blackburn infirmary awaits you. Enjoy your slow painful death. shytalk
  • Score: -3

11:20am Thu 13 Feb 14

GracesDad says...

Not once have I stated that I smoke. But what I am doing, and what my children are doing is breathing in your cars filthy fumes. Bear in mind that your car churns out more pollution when you drive one mile that a lifetime of smoking would cause.

That makes you a complete hypocrite!!!
Not once have I stated that I smoke. But what I am doing, and what my children are doing is breathing in your cars filthy fumes. Bear in mind that your car churns out more pollution when you drive one mile that a lifetime of smoking would cause. That makes you a complete hypocrite!!! GracesDad
  • Score: 4

11:53am Thu 13 Feb 14

mmickk says...

GracesDad wrote:
Not once have I stated that I smoke. But what I am doing, and what my children are doing is breathing in your cars filthy fumes. Bear in mind that your car churns out more pollution when you drive one mile that a lifetime of smoking would cause.

That makes you a complete hypocrite!!!
I see where your coming from car fumes (diesel) are the single biggest cause of cancer in inner cities hence why the big push towards electric cars. But yes I would also ban smoking in public spaces. And as for banning smoking in cars the only people that do now also use mobiles when driving and will take no notice if smoking gets banned in cars. How will this work if the police see a driver smoking with blacked out windows pull him over and look for kids this is just another clueless labour law god help us!!!!
[quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: Not once have I stated that I smoke. But what I am doing, and what my children are doing is breathing in your cars filthy fumes. Bear in mind that your car churns out more pollution when you drive one mile that a lifetime of smoking would cause. That makes you a complete hypocrite!!![/p][/quote]I see where your coming from car fumes (diesel) are the single biggest cause of cancer in inner cities hence why the big push towards electric cars. But yes I would also ban smoking in public spaces. And as for banning smoking in cars the only people that do now also use mobiles when driving and will take no notice if smoking gets banned in cars. How will this work if the police see a driver smoking with blacked out windows pull him over and look for kids this is just another clueless labour law god help us!!!! mmickk
  • Score: 2

1:37pm Thu 13 Feb 14

GracesDad says...

mmickk wrote:
GracesDad wrote:
Not once have I stated that I smoke. But what I am doing, and what my children are doing is breathing in your cars filthy fumes. Bear in mind that your car churns out more pollution when you drive one mile that a lifetime of smoking would cause.

That makes you a complete hypocrite!!!
I see where your coming from car fumes (diesel) are the single biggest cause of cancer in inner cities hence why the big push towards electric cars. But yes I would also ban smoking in public spaces. And as for banning smoking in cars the only people that do now also use mobiles when driving and will take no notice if smoking gets banned in cars. How will this work if the police see a driver smoking with blacked out windows pull him over and look for kids this is just another clueless labour law god help us!!!!
Somebody that smokes 20 cigarettes a day and pays £8 per pack spends £2920 a year. Out of that amount, the government gets £2253.27. There is an estimate of 10 million people that smoke in the UK.

Ban cigarettes and the government lose billions from their yearly budget. Who would be happy to pay more tax to make up for the loss?
[quote][p][bold]mmickk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: Not once have I stated that I smoke. But what I am doing, and what my children are doing is breathing in your cars filthy fumes. Bear in mind that your car churns out more pollution when you drive one mile that a lifetime of smoking would cause. That makes you a complete hypocrite!!![/p][/quote]I see where your coming from car fumes (diesel) are the single biggest cause of cancer in inner cities hence why the big push towards electric cars. But yes I would also ban smoking in public spaces. And as for banning smoking in cars the only people that do now also use mobiles when driving and will take no notice if smoking gets banned in cars. How will this work if the police see a driver smoking with blacked out windows pull him over and look for kids this is just another clueless labour law god help us!!!![/p][/quote]Somebody that smokes 20 cigarettes a day and pays £8 per pack spends £2920 a year. Out of that amount, the government gets £2253.27. There is an estimate of 10 million people that smoke in the UK. Ban cigarettes and the government lose billions from their yearly budget. Who would be happy to pay more tax to make up for the loss? GracesDad
  • Score: 0

1:50pm Thu 13 Feb 14

CeeBee85 says...

maxcollie wrote:
How can it be enforced? they can't catch people on mobiles whilst driving
Same way they enforce use of seatbelts, the ban on using mobile phones etc etc...
[quote][p][bold]maxcollie[/bold] wrote: How can it be enforced? they can't catch people on mobiles whilst driving[/p][/quote]Same way they enforce use of seatbelts, the ban on using mobile phones etc etc... CeeBee85
  • Score: 0

1:54pm Thu 13 Feb 14

CeeBee85 says...

Smoking should be banned altogether. The only reason it is not, is because the government makes too much money from it.
Smoking should be banned altogether. The only reason it is not, is because the government makes too much money from it. CeeBee85
  • Score: 0

5:30pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Michael@ClitheroeSince58 says...

NANNY STATE
NANNY STATE Michael@ClitheroeSince58
  • Score: 2

6:39pm Fri 14 Feb 14

jjonik says...

-- Have those officials who push smoking bans in cars consulted with medical professionals about the problems of going Cold Turkey while driving...with kids in the car? After all, some symptoms of withdrawal are sleepiness, irritability, inattention and distraction, anxiety, headaches, constipation, and increased appetite...perhaps causing distracting eating while driving.
Will police at auto accidents note if Smoking Withdrawal was a contributing cause?

-- Have Civil Rights groups noted that such laws provide pretenses for police to pull over drivers, even if the drivers just have a toothpick or lollypop in their mouths? And, how can police detect the age of young people in the car? Must all young car passengers now carry ID to prove they are old enough to survive tobacco smoke?

-- What if the offending cigarette is made of just plain organic tobacco? Since no studies have been presented about pesticide-free, radiation-free, chlorine and dioxin-free tobacco then there is no scientific justification for the bans. If laws are justified (?) by material about Tobacco Smoke, there must be analysis of the offending cigarette to determine if it contains any tobacco. Justice and Law require no less.

-- Has one child anywhere been diagnosed as having been harmed by 2nd hand smoke...even from a contaminated cigarette...in a car? If such a kid was ever found, we'd surely have a nice "Emily's Law" movement by now.

-- Officials who push such laws prove they have little or no concern for the health of children. Such regulators, after all, completely ignore the presence in typical cigarettes of industrial adulterants, especially pesticides, burn accelerants, and dioxin-producing pesticides and chlorine-bleached paper that are particularly harmful to children...and to fetuses and pregnant mothers.
Officials demand no tests of that stuff, and require no specific warnings. They don't even criticize the cigarette makers and chemical suppliers. And, they don't say a word about the hosts of un-labeled, untested, added sweeteners, flavorings, aromas, or soothing substances that help kids tolerate the otherwise rough taste of tobacco.
Who is blamed and criminalized for the effects of typical industrially-concoct
ed cigarettes? The victims. The whole global war on tobacco is about the involved parties evading criminal charges and astronomical liabilities, PR and profit damages, and bad consequences for complicit, sold-out public officials.

PS: Ample references at http://fauxbacco.blo
gspot.com
-- Have those officials who push smoking bans in cars consulted with medical professionals about the problems of going Cold Turkey while driving...with kids in the car? After all, some symptoms of withdrawal are sleepiness, irritability, inattention and distraction, anxiety, headaches, constipation, and increased appetite...perhaps causing distracting eating while driving. Will police at auto accidents note if Smoking Withdrawal was a contributing cause? -- Have Civil Rights groups noted that such laws provide pretenses for police to pull over drivers, even if the drivers just have a toothpick or lollypop in their mouths? And, how can police detect the age of young people in the car? Must all young car passengers now carry ID to prove they are old enough to survive tobacco smoke? -- What if the offending cigarette is made of just plain organic tobacco? Since no studies have been presented about pesticide-free, radiation-free, chlorine and dioxin-free tobacco then there is no scientific justification for the bans. If laws are justified (?) by material about Tobacco Smoke, there must be analysis of the offending cigarette to determine if it contains any tobacco. Justice and Law require no less. -- Has one child anywhere been diagnosed as having been harmed by 2nd hand smoke...even from a contaminated cigarette...in a car? If such a kid was ever found, we'd surely have a nice "Emily's Law" movement by now. -- Officials who push such laws prove they have little or no concern for the health of children. Such regulators, after all, completely ignore the presence in typical cigarettes of industrial adulterants, especially pesticides, burn accelerants, and dioxin-producing pesticides and chlorine-bleached paper that are particularly harmful to children...and to fetuses and pregnant mothers. Officials demand no tests of that stuff, and require no specific warnings. They don't even criticize the cigarette makers and chemical suppliers. And, they don't say a word about the hosts of un-labeled, untested, added sweeteners, flavorings, aromas, or soothing substances that help kids tolerate the otherwise rough taste of tobacco. Who is blamed and criminalized for the effects of typical industrially-concoct ed cigarettes? The victims. The whole global war on tobacco is about the involved parties evading criminal charges and astronomical liabilities, PR and profit damages, and bad consequences for complicit, sold-out public officials. PS: Ample references at http://fauxbacco.blo gspot.com jjonik
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree