When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
We can get Burnley Wood centre axe reversed, says councillor
1:30pm Thursday 2nd January 2014 in News
A LEADING Burnley councillor has said he is ‘very confident’ that a decision to dispose of land in Burnley Wood can be overturned.
Coun Jeff Sumner was one of five Liberal Democrats on Burnley Council who signed a letter to ‘call-in’ the controversial decision, which could see the Burnley Wood Youth and Community Group centre in Glebe Street demolished to make way for 117 homes.
Mr Sumner said: “From speaking to people in the town, be they at the council or residents, I’m very confident that momentum is gathering in our favour.
“It was a ridiculous decision and I think people are starting to wake up to that fact.”
The council received almost 600 formal letters of objection and a 1,400-signature petition objecting to the proposals put forward by developers Keepmoat, but the land disposal was agreed last month.
The ‘call-in’ will be heard at a special resources scrutiny committee meeting on January 9.
Comments are closed on this article.