When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Siege in Burnley ended peacefully
1:40pm Wednesday 1st January 2014 in News
A siege where a man held his ex-girlfriend hostage for 25 hours ended peacefully.
Around a dozen armed officers had surrounded the man’s Burnley home following reports he had taken his Darwen ex-girlfriend hostage.
Last night he was in custody being questioned by officers on suspicion of false imprisonment.
The area around Hebrew Road had been cordoned off during the incident and armed police, some wearing balaclavas, patrolled the area carrying shotguns.
Police dog handlers were also at the scene and four ambulances, including a fast response vehicle, were also parked nearby.
Negotiators were able to communicate with the hostage taker via phone at the flat in Escott Gardens, which is just off Hebrew Road.
The drama unfolded when the man, believed to be Luke Entwistle, stopped his former girlfriend Emma Brown, 20, from leaving when she returned to the flat to collect belongings, according to Emma's sister.
Residents in Hebrew Road and Daneshouse Road were told to remain in their homes throughout the incident which started at 4.30pm on Monday.
Anyone who wished to leave the area were escorted away by officers.
Officers said a 15-year-old youth was also arrested suspicion of false imprisonment.
A man appeared alone at the window several times, but Miss Brown was only seen once from the same window.
The mum-of-two had recently fallen out with her boyfriend of two years, according to her family.
She had gone to stay with her relatives in Darwen for a few days following the split.
Her mum, two sisters and brother drove her back to the flat to pick up more clothes.
But they said after she entered the flat alone, Mrs Brown was prevented from leaving the flat sparking the siege.
Emma's sister, Natalie Brown, said: "We have had to sleep over night in our car while this has been going on.
"It's just terrible and all we want is for her to be let out of the house and for her to be safe.
"We have not been able to get any sleep at all and I'm scared of what might happen to her.
"I just hope that she is not hurt.
On Monday night, just hours after the siege began, police said a small group of youths threw a couple of fireworks at the police cordon.
A spokeswoman said nobody was injured and the youths were spoken to and moved on without further incident.
Natalie added: "It was horrible on Monday night when people started to throw fireworks at the police because they couldn't use the road."
At around noon armed police from Manchester took over from Lancashire officers who had been at the scene all night.
Residents spoke of their shock yesterday.
Carol Anderson said: "It's a horrible thing to be happening and I hope that no one gets hurt.
"I saw all of the police arrive on Monday afternoon and I had no idea that it would go on for so long."
Joe Corbett, 18, of Grey Street, said: "I saw it when it started, there were loads of flashing lights and police.
"At first we thought it could be a bomb or someone with a gun. I was surprised they were all still here when I woke up this morning.
"I thought they'd all be gone. It's a frightening situation. We can't even go to the corner shop because it's closed."
Sean Pennington, also of Grey Street, said: "When I first saw all the police I rushed in and asked my mum what was going on but she didn't have a clue.
"I can't believe that over 24 hours later they're still in there.”
A police spokeswoman said: “Just after 4.30pm, police received a concern for safety call in relation to a woman at an address in Escott Gardens, in Burnley.
“Officers attended and established there was a man inside the property who was preventing the woman from leaving.”
Comments are closed on this article.