When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Sheltered housing evacuated in Burnley after pan fire
10:56am Sunday 29th December 2013 in News
ELDERLY people had to be evacuated from a sheltered housing scheme in Burnley after a cooker fire.
Two crews were called to Viking Place, off Cronkshaw Street, at around 11.45pm yesterday after a female resident making porridge left her pan on.
Watch manager Neil Ashworth, from Burnley fire station, said ‘several residents’ were evacuated for 30 minutes as firefighters put out the blaze.
He said: “An automatic alarm went off in the flats and the fire was put out by removing the food from the cooker.
“We will have a follow-up meeting next week just to talk to the residents about the dangers of cooking and hoow to stay safe.”
The pan and its contents were destroyed by the fire, while the flat suffered moderate smoke damage. Nobody was injured.
Comments are closed on this article.