Nelson fire destroys two homes

FIRE tore through two Nelson homes this morning.

A team of 20 firefighters from across East Lancashire were called to tackle the blaze in Cumberland Street.

Nobody was hurt in the blaze, although the roofs of both homes were wrecked.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in a derelict property currently being renovated and spread to the neighbouring house, a fire service spokesman said.

Engines from Nelson and an aerial platform ladder from Hyndburn were called to the terraced houses at 3am.

Firefighters searched the second house - which was occupied - after being told by a neighbour a man was inside.

The fire service spokesman added: “He was out and about. A neighbour said he was in, but we found it empty, and he turned up 10 minutes later.”

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:47pm Mon 9 Dec 13

rudis_dad says...

Who writes this stuff? "Engines from Nelson and Nelson"? And where is Cumberland Avenue in Nelson?
Who writes this stuff? "Engines from Nelson and Nelson"? And where is Cumberland Avenue in Nelson? rudis_dad

2:02pm Mon 9 Dec 13

justanotherwatcher says...

Was actually rutland street, and to the person who commented it says engines from Nelson not Nelson Nelson!
Was actually rutland street, and to the person who commented it says engines from Nelson not Nelson Nelson! justanotherwatcher

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree