Tot's family slam seven-hour wait at Blackburn Royal Hospital

Burnley and Pendle Citizen: Mum Nicola Bradshaw holding toddler Chloe, son Callum, and gran Kathleen Shore Mum Nicola Bradshaw holding toddler Chloe, son Callum, and gran Kathleen Shore

THE family of a 22-month-old toddler forced to wait seven hours at Royal Blackburn Hospital have hit out at their treatment.

Little Chloe Bradshaw endured a wait to be seen on the children’s ward at the hospital, and then had to wait two-and-a-half hours at the pharmacy only to be told the cream prescribed for her skin condition was not available.

Mum Nicola Bradshaw took Chloe to the doctor’s in Colne last Monday morning, and they were advised to go to hospital, arriving with great-grandma Kathleen Shore, who is a Pendle councillor, at around 10.30am.

Coun Shore said: “It was ridiculous we had to wait so long. It’s unfair that 22-month-old children are having to spend seven hours in unfamiliar surroundings.

“She saw a couple of different people, which is unsettling for a young child. We then had to wait at the pharmacy. I asked several times what was going on and they eventually said one of the creams needed to be changed, so we had to wait for them to find a registrar and change that.

“Chloe was getting very agitated. She was given a sandwich for her dinner but that was it, it was awful.

“The doctors she saw were very nice, but it was the whole experience that was a problem.”

Coun Shore, Nicola and Chloe eventually left Royal Blackburn Hospital at around 6pm.

Vanessa Hollings, divisional general manager for family care at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, said: “We are sorry that Chloe and Nicola had a longer than expected wait within the hospital.

“We have not been contacted by the family or had any issues raised with us, we would therefore encourage the family to raise any concerns directly with us in order for us to respond to them.”

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:22pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Lionsroar says...

When my daughter was 2 she had to wait over 7 hours in Blackburn Royal before they realised she had a broken foot.
When my daughter was 2 she had to wait over 7 hours in Blackburn Royal before they realised she had a broken foot. Lionsroar

3:31pm Tue 3 Dec 13

patriotno1 says...

apart from the length of time they spent at the hospital,the other reasons to cause complaint are just silly.and what has great gran being a councillor got to do with it?.
apart from the length of time they spent at the hospital,the other reasons to cause complaint are just silly.and what has great gran being a councillor got to do with it?. patriotno1

4:31pm Tue 3 Dec 13

popsratcliffe says...

I have always found A&E ok it is when you get on the ward your troubles begin
as I have recently found out
I have always found A&E ok it is when you get on the ward your troubles begin as I have recently found out popsratcliffe

4:34pm Tue 3 Dec 13

useyourhead says...

I think this will become commonplace, particularly for things that are neither an accident nor an emergency, as would seem to be the case here.
I think this will become commonplace, particularly for things that are neither an accident nor an emergency, as would seem to be the case here. useyourhead

4:48pm Tue 3 Dec 13

alf-abett says...

I share their concerns in this area of the Health Service but once again it's a case of complain to the newspapers rather than the people responsible for good practice, in this case the Hospital Management. And, if it was "very upsetting" for the child one would have thought that one of the adults! could have taken the child away from the environment or even back home if they were so concerned especially once seen by a Doctor.
I share their concerns in this area of the Health Service but once again it's a case of complain to the newspapers rather than the people responsible for good practice, in this case the Hospital Management. And, if it was "very upsetting" for the child one would have thought that one of the adults! could have taken the child away from the environment or even back home if they were so concerned especially once seen by a Doctor. alf-abett

5:21pm Tue 3 Dec 13

phil kernot says...

The public has to wake up and realise M. Ps Do not use the nhs thay have private health care , so thay don't have to wait and have no idea the reality out , there. ,, what lunatic pays to have a hospital built at £138 million by a private company and rented back to the tax payer so all this look at the lovely hospital ( not owned by taxpayers) the payments are to much so staff can't be payed for so the poor people suffer not the rich , ,, Victorian times are here again , and if you can't see it go to specsavers ,,,,
The public has to wake up and realise M. Ps Do not use the nhs thay have private health care , so thay don't have to wait and have no idea the reality out , there. ,, what lunatic pays to have a hospital built at £138 million by a private company and rented back to the tax payer so all this look at the lovely hospital ( not owned by taxpayers) the payments are to much so staff can't be payed for so the poor people suffer not the rich , ,, Victorian times are here again , and if you can't see it go to specsavers ,,,, phil kernot

9:03pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Sajdin says...

Again complained to the paper but not to the Hospital!??

Get a grip.
Again complained to the paper but not to the Hospital!?? Get a grip. Sajdin

9:36pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Malthus says...

Yes seven and a half hours was a long wait, but it does not seem to have been an emergency. Also why, (as others have posted), did the family air their grievances to the press and not to the hospital itself. I wonder if legal action will follow as a result of them being inconvenienced. I hope not as such actions deplete the cash available and it maintains the cycle of litigation, where the winners are lawyers and the public lose out as claims impact the hospital budget. I also cannot believe at how ungrateful the family were about the sandwich. Perhaps they should have put their hand in their pocket's and bought something from one of the stores in the shopping arcade.
Yes seven and a half hours was a long wait, but it does not seem to have been an emergency. Also why, (as others have posted), did the family air their grievances to the press and not to the hospital itself. I wonder if legal action will follow as a result of them being inconvenienced. I hope not as such actions deplete the cash available and it maintains the cycle of litigation, where the winners are lawyers and the public lose out as claims impact the hospital budget. I also cannot believe at how ungrateful the family were about the sandwich. Perhaps they should have put their hand in their pocket's and bought something from one of the stores in the shopping arcade. Malthus

10:27pm Tue 3 Dec 13

mavrick says...

No matter what, nobody should have to endure a seven and half hour wait. why waste time complaining to the hospital management, their carpet is high enough with all the other complaints swept under it.
No matter what, nobody should have to endure a seven and half hour wait. why waste time complaining to the hospital management, their carpet is high enough with all the other complaints swept under it. mavrick

11:09pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Mothernature says...

I have to question why her own doctor felt it necessary to have the child taken to the hospital. Surely the doctor must know about the most common skin problems that can affect children. I'm only guessing here, but it sounds like the child had some form of rash quite possibly caused by an allergic reaction. if their own doctor couldn't or wouldn't give a diagnosis, should that doctor be in the medical profession?
I have to question why her own doctor felt it necessary to have the child taken to the hospital. Surely the doctor must know about the most common skin problems that can affect children. I'm only guessing here, but it sounds like the child had some form of rash quite possibly caused by an allergic reaction. if their own doctor couldn't or wouldn't give a diagnosis, should that doctor be in the medical profession? Mothernature

7:44am Wed 4 Dec 13

HarryBosch says...

I'm with Mothernature on this - if the child had a skin condition which ultimately required treatment with a cream, why did a GP send them to A&E? Surely the GP will be aware of the pressures on that department? If I were the parent my anger would be directed at the GP not the hospital. Doesn't sound right to me.
I'm with Mothernature on this - if the child had a skin condition which ultimately required treatment with a cream, why did a GP send them to A&E? Surely the GP will be aware of the pressures on that department? If I were the parent my anger would be directed at the GP not the hospital. Doesn't sound right to me. HarryBosch

8:44am Wed 4 Dec 13

liddle 'un says...

phil kernot wrote:
The public has to wake up and realise M. Ps Do not use the nhs thay have private health care , so thay don't have to wait and have no idea the reality out , there. ,, what lunatic pays to have a hospital built at £138 million by a private company and rented back to the tax payer so all this look at the lovely hospital ( not owned by taxpayers) the payments are to much so staff can't be payed for so the poor people suffer not the rich , ,, Victorian times are here again , and if you can't see it go to specsavers ,,,,
I very much agree.

PFI, heavily promoted by New Labour, has been a disaster.
[quote][p][bold]phil kernot[/bold] wrote: The public has to wake up and realise M. Ps Do not use the nhs thay have private health care , so thay don't have to wait and have no idea the reality out , there. ,, what lunatic pays to have a hospital built at £138 million by a private company and rented back to the tax payer so all this look at the lovely hospital ( not owned by taxpayers) the payments are to much so staff can't be payed for so the poor people suffer not the rich , ,, Victorian times are here again , and if you can't see it go to specsavers ,,,,[/p][/quote]I very much agree. PFI, heavily promoted by New Labour, has been a disaster. liddle 'un

11:10am Wed 4 Dec 13

HairyBowls says...

It's only in YOUR HOUR OF NEED that you are going to realise how broken the NHS had become...Labour and Conservative have ruined the NHS, keep voting for them at your peril.
It's only in YOUR HOUR OF NEED that you are going to realise how broken the NHS had become...Labour and Conservative have ruined the NHS, keep voting for them at your peril. HairyBowls

12:32pm Wed 4 Dec 13

tinstletown says...

After spending 3.5hrs with my son at Blackburn A&E last week, I was astounded to see how many people where there with aliments they could of had treated at any chemist or their GP without the need for them to be using such a valuable resource we are very lucky to have. The waiting room is warm and accessible and I would suggest that some people where there for just that reason rather than needing the urgent care the nurses and doctors are employed to deal with. With funding resources anticipated to take another huge hit next year, my advice would be to steer clear of A&E unless its an absolute emergency that way the waiting times will reduce significantly and none of us will have to sit there for any longer than required. Use your common sense for gods sake!!!!
After spending 3.5hrs with my son at Blackburn A&E last week, I was astounded to see how many people where there with aliments they could of had treated at any chemist or their GP without the need for them to be using such a valuable resource we are very lucky to have. The waiting room is warm and accessible and I would suggest that some people where there for just that reason rather than needing the urgent care the nurses and doctors are employed to deal with. With funding resources anticipated to take another huge hit next year, my advice would be to steer clear of A&E unless its an absolute emergency that way the waiting times will reduce significantly and none of us will have to sit there for any longer than required. Use your common sense for gods sake!!!! tinstletown

12:53pm Wed 4 Dec 13

mys says...

My son has attended blackburn hospital over the last 8yrs both as an inpatient and at AnE,I cannot place one complaint,the staff have been outstanding at all times,why do people feel the need to moan is beyond me,count yourself lucky you don't have to pay for the services,if you did you wouldn't waste there time by going,as I've said before,A and E is just that,some people get my back up ,for gods sake go to the doctors instead of wasting time and money at the hospital,it's busy enough without stupid reasons to go there,you get all the drunks/druggies and nutters that have nothing else better to do than waste good money and the staffs time and you wonder why the world is like it is,it's sad this little girl had to wait so long but surely could the mum not have seen her own gp for the cream?
My son has attended blackburn hospital over the last 8yrs both as an inpatient and at AnE,I cannot place one complaint,the staff have been outstanding at all times,why do people feel the need to moan is beyond me,count yourself lucky you don't have to pay for the services,if you did you wouldn't waste there time by going,as I've said before,A and E is just that,some people get my back up ,for gods sake go to the doctors instead of wasting time and money at the hospital,it's busy enough without stupid reasons to go there,you get all the drunks/druggies and nutters that have nothing else better to do than waste good money and the staffs time and you wonder why the world is like it is,it's sad this little girl had to wait so long but surely could the mum not have seen her own gp for the cream? mys

4:02pm Wed 4 Dec 13

Mr.J.Jambone says...

The NHS will always be a lower quality service than otherwise health could be. The reason is simple economics. You cannot escape basic mathematics. £5 divided by 10 people will ALWAYS be less than the principal amount. No matter how many times you say 'but we have to look after the poor'. Saying it 50 times will not change the laws of physics.

You have a smaller percentage of people paying for the NHS than use it. People who work and pay taxes are being forced to support those who don't.

You can't have your cake and eat it. If you want to support the needy then you have to accept your going to take a hit and stop complaining.

The solution for better service would be to get rid of the NHS and the corresponding tax burden and allow everyone to buy their own health insurance. You'd very quickly get world class service for less than you're paying now, unless your one of those who lives off the backs of others.

Socialist policies just don't work. 100s of years of evidence have proven this time and time again. The most fruitful way to run a country was sold in the year 1776 - the year 'Wealth of Nations' was published and the USA declared independence from Britain.

Thus was demonstrated THE blueprint for a wealthy, healthy society and the world witnessed the greatest ever boom in standards of living for all people.

We then had people come along with 'new ideas'. Tinkering with the blue print with fallacious policies which lead to destruction of wealth.
The NHS will always be a lower quality service than otherwise health could be. The reason is simple economics. You cannot escape basic mathematics. £5 divided by 10 people will ALWAYS be less than the principal amount. No matter how many times you say 'but we have to look after the poor'. Saying it 50 times will not change the laws of physics. You have a smaller percentage of people paying for the NHS than use it. People who work and pay taxes are being forced to support those who don't. You can't have your cake and eat it. If you want to support the needy then you have to accept your going to take a hit and stop complaining. The solution for better service would be to get rid of the NHS and the corresponding tax burden and allow everyone to buy their own health insurance. You'd very quickly get world class service for less than you're paying now, unless your one of those who lives off the backs of others. Socialist policies just don't work. 100s of years of evidence have proven this time and time again. The most fruitful way to run a country was sold in the year 1776 - the year 'Wealth of Nations' was published and the USA declared independence from Britain. Thus was demonstrated THE blueprint for a wealthy, healthy society and the world witnessed the greatest ever boom in standards of living for all people. We then had people come along with 'new ideas'. Tinkering with the blue print with fallacious policies which lead to destruction of wealth. Mr.J.Jambone

6:27pm Wed 4 Dec 13

boxerphile says...

patriotno1 wrote:
apart from the length of time they spent at the hospital,the other reasons to cause complaint are just silly.and what has great gran being a councillor got to do with it?.
i totally agree patriot 1,there are people(children) who are EXTREMELY ill and they of course would take priority.these people should be glad they have access to hospital treatment.thankfully the child didn't need admitting,how would a 22month old cope with the unfamiliar surroundings then?.these people should realise just because 'gran' is a councillor,they don't get priority.
[quote][p][bold]patriotno1[/bold] wrote: apart from the length of time they spent at the hospital,the other reasons to cause complaint are just silly.and what has great gran being a councillor got to do with it?.[/p][/quote]i totally agree patriot 1,there are people(children) who are EXTREMELY ill and they of course would take priority.these people should be glad they have access to hospital treatment.thankfully the child didn't need admitting,how would a 22month old cope with the unfamiliar surroundings then?.these people should realise just because 'gran' is a councillor,they don't get priority. boxerphile

6:31pm Wed 4 Dec 13

peely says...

The clue is in the words " accident & emergency " , not creams for skin complaints ! As for the comment about only being given a sandwich , why should the hospital be responsible for feeding their child ? It,s not a hotel or cafe it's a Hospital ! Get real and get some common ( sense I mean ! )
The clue is in the words " accident & emergency " , not creams for skin complaints ! As for the comment about only being given a sandwich , why should the hospital be responsible for feeding their child ? It,s not a hotel or cafe it's a Hospital ! Get real and get some common ( sense I mean ! ) peely

8:56pm Wed 4 Dec 13

kapalski says...

Sajdin wrote:
Again complained to the paper but not to the Hospital!??

Get a grip.
Probably because your complaints process is a waste of time, how long should it take to close a complaint? 12 months later and I'm still waiting for an appropriate response, Why do PALS try to lie their way out of complaints?
You are the one who needs to get a grip, and when it comes to you or your family members needing any form of treatment at this hospital I hope for your sake its in a better state that what it is now!

It is in special measures for a reason, reasons I'm sure you are more than aware of!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: Again complained to the paper but not to the Hospital!?? Get a grip.[/p][/quote]Probably because your complaints process is a waste of time, how long should it take to close a complaint? 12 months later and I'm still waiting for an appropriate response, Why do PALS try to lie their way out of complaints? You are the one who needs to get a grip, and when it comes to you or your family members needing any form of treatment at this hospital I hope for your sake its in a better state that what it is now! It is in special measures for a reason, reasons I'm sure you are more than aware of!!!! kapalski

10:48pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Sajdin says...

kapalski wrote:
Sajdin wrote:
Again complained to the paper but not to the Hospital!??

Get a grip.
Probably because your complaints process is a waste of time, how long should it take to close a complaint? 12 months later and I'm still waiting for an appropriate response, Why do PALS try to lie their way out of complaints?
You are the one who needs to get a grip, and when it comes to you or your family members needing any form of treatment at this hospital I hope for your sake its in a better state that what it is now!

It is in special measures for a reason, reasons I'm sure you are more than aware of!!!!
If you have been waiting 12 months for a response, then you have every right to take it further and speak to the paper if need be, I know I would !

My point is, the Trust didn't even know about this complaint until they had complained to the paper.

In future, an attempt to follow the Hospitals complaint procedure should be taken, and if you let down, then take it as far as you want !
[quote][p][bold]kapalski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: Again complained to the paper but not to the Hospital!?? Get a grip.[/p][/quote]Probably because your complaints process is a waste of time, how long should it take to close a complaint? 12 months later and I'm still waiting for an appropriate response, Why do PALS try to lie their way out of complaints? You are the one who needs to get a grip, and when it comes to you or your family members needing any form of treatment at this hospital I hope for your sake its in a better state that what it is now! It is in special measures for a reason, reasons I'm sure you are more than aware of!!!![/p][/quote]If you have been waiting 12 months for a response, then you have every right to take it further and speak to the paper if need be, I know I would ! My point is, the Trust didn't even know about this complaint until they had complained to the paper. In future, an attempt to follow the Hospitals complaint procedure should be taken, and if you let down, then take it as far as you want ! Sajdin

8:08am Sun 8 Dec 13

kapalski says...

Sajdin wrote:
kapalski wrote:
Sajdin wrote:
Again complained to the paper but not to the Hospital!??

Get a grip.
Probably because your complaints process is a waste of time, how long should it take to close a complaint? 12 months later and I'm still waiting for an appropriate response, Why do PALS try to lie their way out of complaints?
You are the one who needs to get a grip, and when it comes to you or your family members needing any form of treatment at this hospital I hope for your sake its in a better state that what it is now!

It is in special measures for a reason, reasons I'm sure you are more than aware of!!!!
If you have been waiting 12 months for a response, then you have every right to take it further and speak to the paper if need be, I know I would !

My point is, the Trust didn't even know about this complaint until they had complained to the paper.

In future, an attempt to follow the Hospitals complaint procedure should be taken, and if you let down, then take it as far as you want !
This is probably why this family went to the paper first, I'm still complaing over 12 months later, perhaps if I went to the paper they might actually deal with my complaint quicker, who knows?

The hospital is in dire straits, from the management to the doctors an the nurses. Say what you will but i have first hand experience with the can't be bothered attitudes, the lies and deceitful behaviour. I pray that the trust does sort itself out, for everyones sake!!
[quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kapalski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: Again complained to the paper but not to the Hospital!?? Get a grip.[/p][/quote]Probably because your complaints process is a waste of time, how long should it take to close a complaint? 12 months later and I'm still waiting for an appropriate response, Why do PALS try to lie their way out of complaints? You are the one who needs to get a grip, and when it comes to you or your family members needing any form of treatment at this hospital I hope for your sake its in a better state that what it is now! It is in special measures for a reason, reasons I'm sure you are more than aware of!!!![/p][/quote]If you have been waiting 12 months for a response, then you have every right to take it further and speak to the paper if need be, I know I would ! My point is, the Trust didn't even know about this complaint until they had complained to the paper. In future, an attempt to follow the Hospitals complaint procedure should be taken, and if you let down, then take it as far as you want ![/p][/quote]This is probably why this family went to the paper first, I'm still complaing over 12 months later, perhaps if I went to the paper they might actually deal with my complaint quicker, who knows? The hospital is in dire straits, from the management to the doctors an the nurses. Say what you will but i have first hand experience with the can't be bothered attitudes, the lies and deceitful behaviour. I pray that the trust does sort itself out, for everyones sake!! kapalski

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree