When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Allotments fire in Burnley
7:04pm Monday 7th October 2013 in News
TWO sheds on an allotment were gutted when a blaze fuelled by gas cylinders broke out inside one of them.
The fire, which is thought to have been started by a heater, completely destroyed the buildings in Windermere Avenue, Burnley.
Firefighters were called to the site at around 2.35am yesterday (SUN) and spent 15 minutes making sure the flames were out.
Crew manager Steve Harrison said: “Fire crews were met with a severe fire involving two large allotment sheds.
“Firefighters attacked the fire using two water jets.
“Early on in the incident it was noted that gas cylinders were involved in the fire and were gassing off.
“The flames from these were making it difficult to extinguish.
“These were eventually controlled from a distance, and the remainder of the fire could then be dealt with safely.
“It is thought that a heater had been left on within the sheds, causing the fire.”
Comments are closed on this article.