When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Fire crews called to Nelson property after smoke scare
1:53pm Tuesday 27th August 2013 in News
FIRE crews were called to Oxford Road in Nelson just before 10pm on Sunday night after residents reported seeing a large amount of black smoke.
At first, fire crews thought that a house was on fire, but after investigating, a resident was found to be burning wood on a chiminea.
Fire crews extinguished the fire using buckets of water to minimise the amount of smoke seen on the street and to prevent further calls.
Watch manager Lee Garnett said: “I need to highlight the importance of not creating that amount of smoke when burning things.
“I highlighted the fact that because of their actions, two fire engines were unavailable for critical incidents and that any future burning should limit the amount of smoke given off.
“There aren’t specific laws against having a bonfire, or when you can have one — but there are Acts that deal with the nuisance they can cause.
“A controlled burn can also result in fire engines attending that may be required elsewhere."
If unsure about what you can burn, contact Burnley Council and ask about recycling options available to you in the local area.
Alternatively visit www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk for further information.
Comments are closed on this article.