When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Burnley sex attacker jailed for seven years
2:03pm Friday 23rd August 2013 in News
DETECTIVES have welcomed the seven-and-a-half year jail sentence for a sex attacker who struck on a Burnley canal barge.
Ricky Lee Stuart, 31, will also be on licence for an extended four-year period after being convicted of sexual assault, assault by penetration and attempted rape.
He had been drinking with his victim at the Inn on the Wharf pub in November 2011 before the attacks, and also stole her handbag.
Speaking after the case Det Con Karen Haynes, said: “This has been a truly shocking case. At no point whatsoever has Stuart shown any remorse for his actions.
“This was a calculated and premeditated attack on a vulnerable female, Stuart is an extremely dangerous man and I welcome the sentence.”
Burnley Crown Court was told that Stuart, a homeless drifter at the time of the offences who was originally from Nottinghamshire, had previous convictions for indecent assault and theft.