When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Pendle Council looks to make savings
9:54am Saturday 17th August 2013 in News
A SERIES of savings reviews are on the horizon which could affect community centres, markets and council shops in Pendle.
Earlier this year borough council bossess successfully applied for a £1.026million ‘efficiency support grant’ from Whitehall.
But in order to qualify for next year’s round of assistance, the authority must demonstrate it has effectively implemented this year’s savings requirements.
Council leader Coun Joe Cooney has been in discussions with his opposite numbers across East Lancashire with a view to sharing services and costs.
And there are also a number of reviews underway which are being considered for 2014-15, which could generate spending cuts of around £700,000.
Currently there is an ongoing review of public conveniences, due to report back in December, which could recoup £130,000.
The same deadline has been given for a possible shake-up of the borough’s community centre provisions, offering slightly higher savings.
Controversial proposals to shut, or scale back the activities, of council shops, possibly affecting provisions in Colne, Earby and Barnoldswick, could yield another £240,000.
Part of a wider economic review, the future of the borough’s markets, linked in with the Nelson Portas Town Pilot, will also be considered, possibly saving £170,000.
Councillors have been told that if signs are progress are identified then the council may be entitled to a £250,000 award.
Dean Langton, head of central and regeneration services, said in an executive report: ’. If the council is successful, payment will not be made before November 2013; “Fundamentally achieving the budget reductions identified will contribute, in part, to dealing with the council’s underlying funding deficit as set out in the Medium Term Financial Plan.”
Comments are closed on this article.