'Surprise' at generosity of East Lancashire shoppers backing foodbank appeal (From Burnley and Pendle Citizen)
When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
'Surprise' at generosity of East Lancashire shoppers backing foodbank appeal
5:00pm Monday 8th July 2013 in News
KIND-HEARTED shoppers were praised for a generous reaction to a foodbank appeal.
All Tesco stores across the North West took part in a collection for FareShare and the Trussel Trust, which donates to Blackburn Foodbank.
In Burnley, Pendle, Rossendale and Hyndburn, the Trussel Trust will split its share of donations with Community Solutions’ foodbank.
Ros Duerden, project manager at Blackburn Foodbank, said she visited several stores over the weekend.
She said: “People were amazingly generous. Sometimes it’s surprising who donates the most. It can often be the people you least expect it from but it is all appreciated.
“I spent most of my time at the Metro store in the Mall. By 3pm today we’ll know exactly how much we’ve got.
“I’d like to thank all of the public who donated and the Tesco staff who have been fantastic.”
HOW TO DONATE TO YOUR LOCAL FOODBANK
There are many foodbanks across Lancashire and they each work in different ways. They all have one thing in common – they need your donations of non-perishable, in-date food.
- Blackburn Foodbank: Take your food donations to the Distribution Centre, Unit 5, Brunswick Street, on Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 11am to 2pm.Or call 07594215356 to arrange for donations to be collected.
- Clitheroe Foodbank: There are collection baskets in Skipton Building Society, Natwest and Barclays Bank, all Clitheroe churches and Clitheroe Mount. Or drop off donations at Trinity Methodist Church, Parson Lane, Clitheroe, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday 11am to 1.30pm.
- Community Solutions Foodbank: St James’ Old School, Cannon Street, Accrington or call 01254 352591 to arrange a drop off in Burnley.
- Darwen Food Larder: The Food Larder has collection points in town or call 01254 772478 to arrange a drop-off or collection.
- The Raft Foundation: Drop off in many Rossendale shops, Haslingden Tesco, churches and schools. To arrange to drop off non-perishable donations or to give money for fresh food, call 07874206854 or email email@example.com.
Comments are closed on this article.